PDA

View Full Version : CA Reactor?

Sin
08-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Well... I have tried to skim through the last few years of posts :crazyeye: My eyes hurt :biggrin: One post that I was interested in was Canadianman's post on DIY CA Reactors. Are they fairly easy to build, or should I just save, and buy one?
I would like to sit down and chat with someone. If you have the time :mrgreen: I live close to Big Al's.

danny zubot
08-13-2004, 04:58 PM
My knowlege of Ca reactors is limited but we can still bounce knowlege. I live a block form Big Al's Myself and would love to see your tank.

you have PM

Canadian Man
08-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Anthing is easy to build as long as you know what your doing :biggrin:

Working with acrylic is fairly easy. It takes a few specific tools.

I knew I could make all my aquarium equipment and save thousands(Yes thousands with the current size of equipment I use) rather then spend ALOT of money on manufactured products.

That's just me though. I also installed my flooring in the basement and stairs yesterday and had no FREEKING idea what I was doing but it turned out great! That's just the type of guy I am.

BMW Rider
08-13-2004, 09:21 PM
I'm very fortunate to NOT live close to Big Al's. If I did live close it would be way to tempting to just pop in to look and then ... well you know how impulses can be. Living up in the north end of town means I have to make a plan to go there, which is good.

I'm considering building a reactor too. I have looked at lots of DIY ones on various sites, but have not yet taken the plunge. I need to get my 50 gal set up first, then build a bigger skimmer for the 130 gal. I have worked a little with acrylic, and was supprised how easy it is. The biggest hurdle is usually figuring out how to build something. I hate trial and error, so I like having a proven design to copy. I will have to look up the thread you mentioned.

Sin
08-14-2004, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the response. I will do a little reading on the web. When I find something I will run it by the group here too see what ya think.

whaase
08-14-2004, 03:23 PM
Be prepared to read, but here is a good link.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144438&highlight=calcium+AND+reactor+AND+diy

Walter

Sin
08-17-2004, 04:37 AM

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=144438&highlight=calcium+AND+reactor+AND+diy

Walter

Thanks for the link. Your right, quite the read :eek: Have you built one? From the response, this one sounds like a good design. Whre would you pick up the acrylic and JG fittings?

whaase
08-17-2004, 12:17 PM

Walter

Thanks for the link. Your right, quite the read :eek: Have you built one? From the response, this one sounds like a good design. Whre would you pick up the acrylic and JG fittings?

I've never built one, just read the thread. I bought some acrylic from a fellow reefer, and I bought the rest from Rona. You can get some JG fittings from Homedepot...

Walter

Sin
08-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Cool :biggrin: I might just start shopping today.