PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Dying?

banditpowdercoat
05-21-2014, 08:30 PM
OK, I have tried a few times to keep cleaner shrimp and other shrimp and they seem to last 4-6 mos, then dissapear. Now I got this tank used. Not sure if there was ever any copper used in it? I have had the tank for 6 years now myself. Would the Salifert copper test kit show trace amounts from years ago? Also, other tank inhabitants are
Naso Tang
Hippo Tang
yellow Tang
Coral Beauty
Flame Angel(died last month with emergency tank teardown)
and a Brittle star

Had a GHA outbreak a while ago, That seems to be under control now. Also, A Lawnmower Blennie died and dissapeared a while ago too.
Had a tank leak last month so had to tear down and noticed no shrimp whatsoever. I did have 3 a couple months ago. They never really came out tho, Always were hidden in the rocks.

pinkreef
05-22-2014, 03:20 PM
not a green brittlestar, right?

banditpowdercoat
05-22-2014, 06:01 PM
No it a brownish black star

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

Skimmer Juice
05-22-2014, 06:39 PM
I have a brown/black brittle and a harlequin shrimp don't think they harm anything

Timbits
05-23-2014, 12:53 AM
Hmm if you have a brittle star and its alive and healthy for quite some time then that will rule out any copper being in your tank cuz it's an invert also. Also if there is copper in your tank pretty sure the shrimp won't last 3-4 months either. Maybe they got killed somehow, I had a cleaner shrimp in my tank that does awesome but I can't keep peppermint shrimp alive. Had tried a bunch of times.

banditpowdercoat
05-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Ok. I did have 2 brittles and 2 serpents. Now as of last tear down. No serpents and one brittle. And ph is slowly rising. It used to be hard to get to 8. Now it's 8.4-8.44!!! Will be doing another 30g water change nxt week when I get home. I have lowered my feeding amounts since the gha outbreak. That seems to have cured that. But also I think the stars and shrimp dissapeared before the gha. All my Zoas dissapeared too with the gha. Will be ordering some nitrate nitrite and phosphate tests when I get home. And calibrate my apex ph meter. Something's Amis tho. It was good and stable for over 5 years. Oh. I also swapped out my DIY led lights for some d120 now too. Possibly thinking my DIY was really messed up for spectrum

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers