PDA

View Full Version : My Website

DOO-E
08-13-2004, 05:14 AM
I have made a website for my rams. Here is the URL link please tell em what you think.
http://ryandoolittle.tripod.com/ryansdwarframs/index.html

monza
08-13-2004, 05:26 AM
Well done DOO-E, best of luck with the Rams.

DOO-E
08-13-2004, 05:58 AM
Thank you check it out sunday there will be an update on the new rams i am picking up on saturday i will pick up more fish too probaly some phantoms and more angelfish.

bear27
08-13-2004, 11:05 PM
You misspelled Africans in the intro

Canadian Man
08-14-2004, 12:17 AM
A few question's and comments for you Ryan,
1. Are you planning on sucessfully having your fish breed in a community setting?
2. Why have a halide over the tank. You mentioned a while ago that your mom was worried about the power bill. Cutting out the halide would elimate some uneeded expense.
3. You really need to work on the grammer and spelling on your site! Your missing alot of simple things like capitals.

Good luck :biggrin:

DOO-E
08-14-2004, 02:06 AM
Ya the site still needs alot of work. No the rams are ment to be paired off in a community set up then they will be moved to 20 gallon long tanks for each pair. The halide is for plant growth. I plan on going through the site tonight to fix all the grammer errors. Then tomorrow i am getting more fish.

DOO-E
08-15-2004, 05:00 AM
Okay site updated no new pictures yet they will come omorrow maybe after work

albert_dao
08-16-2004, 12:36 AM
Hey Ryan, I have a suggestion: You may want to ditch the mouse effects on the gallery page. It hits some people with slow comps and older browsers pretty hard.

Other then that, looks fine!

DOO-E
08-16-2004, 12:45 AM
DONE

albert_dao
08-16-2004, 01:04 AM
Nice.

Hey man, lemme know if you want any advice on web designing.

DOO-E
08-16-2004, 06:10 AM
Hey i am up to any suggestions i am using tripod so i just use it best to my knoledge of the site. Anyway i have some new pics up. I had some of the rams fighting but the blured anyway more of bailey 2 betta pics and a few rams

jacky
08-16-2004, 05:52 PM
IMO you should learn more about plants in aquarium before putting halide on a tank. 10K temp isnt the best for plants growth. Unless you have all nutrients balanced, you will have algea problem..

other than that, good work on ur web design

DOO-E
08-16-2004, 06:23 PM
I do have an algea problem but it is only on the glass. I like the look it gives off and i scrape the front daily. Therefore the algea growing on the back and the sides isnt bothering me a whole lot.

MitchM
08-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Ryan,
It would be a good idea to add the website address to your user profile and signature - where people could have a direct link from here to your site.

...and, uh, maybe change your signature.....it's not professional.

(Hey, you asked. :wink: )

Mitch

DOO-E
08-17-2004, 02:30 AM
O oaky then can do

DOO-E
08-19-2004, 04:30 AM
Fish for sale now

StirCrazy
08-19-2004, 07:43 AM
I took a look at your page and the layout is good, a couple sugestions though
1, clean your tanks befor you take pics of them. nothing looks worse than some one who is trying to sell stuff and the pictures are all algae filled.. it shows that if you don't have the 5 min a day to take care of the cleanlyness of the tank then you probably don't spend much time on the care of the fish either.

2, use a web site that doesent throw there own adds up that compete with you.

and finaly 3, if you are going to say that you did extensive research on the fish and fish mates on your webpage then make sure you don't have non compatable fish living togeather in the same house. a 2 min search (although I already knew, but wanted to sea how easy it was to find) showed that a guppy likes harder water with a PH of 6.8 to 7.2 where the blue ram you are trying to raise likes soft water with a PH of 5.5 to 6.5.

sorry this is one of my pet peevees in fresh water is that people don't do enuf reasearch thinking its all the same and subject fish to living in conditions that are not proper for it. so either your ram's don't have the proper requirments or your guppies don't have the propper requirments.

Steve

DOO-E
08-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Well guppies are adapted for all types of enviroments. As for rams when they are young and growing like this you should keep them in soft tap water so they get the essential "elements" or whatever you would call them from the water. Now when they are older yes i will keep them with a lower pH but for now when they are young and not breeding I am going to keep them at a slightly acidic Ph so i am not muching wiht the water too much. As for the site do you have a recomendation for a site builder that does this. I am not great with computers maybe i will take some classes.

StirCrazy
08-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Well guppies are adapted for all types of enviroments.

DOO-E, almost any fish will live in wrong conditions, does that make it right. guppies like slightly alkaline semmi hard to hard water. discus, rams, angels like acidic very soft water. and raising them in the wrong enviorment can cause problems down the road.

As for rams when they are young and growing like this you should keep them in soft tap water so they get the essential "elements" or whatever you would call them from the water.

where did you get this info from. soft tap water so what PH would that be? If you are serious about Rams and Discus you will use very soft water, our tap water out here is almost perfect as it is only 12 to 17 ppm hardness and aprox 6ph (sometimes a bit lower) but your tap water in Taber will be hard with a higher PH. the best route you could take will be to use RO water and add a discus remineralizer to it. Rams are not an easy fish to breed in captivity, yes there are some people doing it but few. the conditions for them to breed are exacting and that starts from a baby. by keeping it in a wrong enviorment you are reducing the chances of it being able to breed as an adult.

here is some info for you that I have condenced from 3 or 4 books I have.

Ram
Habbits: timid, very peaceful. should have there own well-planted,
well heated (80) tank. should not be kept with overly active fish
in a comunity tank

water conditions: aged soft acidic water (5.5 to 6.5ph).
Tank should be placed so it recives several hours of
natural sunlight every day. tempature 80 to 85.

food requirments: live foods only, preferably Enchytrae or Tubifex worms
Dried foods are seldome touched

they are very hard to breed but it is possable givin the exacting conditions.
new fry should be fed infusoria and then newly hatched brine shrimp and finly choped tubifex worms.

now having said all that I have seen rams eat dried flake food but it all depends on the fish, most that I have seen won't take dried food.

I am going to say one more thing, if you are serious about wanting to try breed Rams, do it right and put them in a species tank not a comunity tank, as you angels get bigger they willbe agressive towards the rams and they will eat your neons (did you know neons are a natrual food source for Angel fish?) well I gues that would keep the neons from spooking the Rams anyways :rolleyes: seriously though if you want to breed something set up a dedacated tank for the pair and recreate the natural enviorment for them as close as possable. yes fish will breed in a comunity tank (I have lemmon tetra's having babies all the time in mine, but I also only have fish that are natural occuring togeather in the wild) but the chances are higher in a proper enviorment.

Steve

DOO-E
08-19-2004, 11:29 PM
This infor,ation has come from a ram breeder off of Alberta Aquatica. A site donated to the freshwater hobby. You think you know your guppies you are wrong also. Guppies come from areas where the freshwater rivers meet with the ocean therefore they are a slightly brachish water fish. you are ven keeping them in the wrong enviroment if you have some. Obviously it cannot be too bad of water quality for them seeing that they are breeding and if somethinf was wrong they would stop.
The Ram breeder told me too use the tap water for the elements in it it will help the rams grow. To lower pH i am using discus buffer this is helping and to soften the water i am using water pillows.
What books did u get htis information from?
As for the tank this is my plan. I will plant the tank as a community tank then as the rams choose their spawning site i will block from tat site over off leaving the rams with plants, rocks, driftwood. They will be the only fish in their section. The other section will be angelfish and tetras.
As for the Angels I have done this many of times. If you raise the the angels up with the neons i find the angelfish are okay with them. But if you add the angels then grow them to be a fair size adding the neons after then the angels will eat your neon tetras. Books io have been reading about breeding rams all of them say to add small tetras such as neons as ditherfish. This is my plan also is to in the end have only fish from the same area. The fighter will go into his own 5 gallon tank and the guppies are leaving.

StirCrazy
08-20-2004, 12:58 AM
I am done.. you take advice for fresh water as well as you did for salt water.. no point waisting my time anymore.. :rolleyes:

Steve

DOO-E
08-20-2004, 01:03 AM
I was about to say the same thing. I was going to say it isnt worth fighting over some freaking fish that i am not even trying to breed. I am sorry for this. Can you please tell me what book you got that information from. I would like to know so i can read it.

DOO-E
08-20-2004, 06:13 AM
Pics and updates added

kuatto
08-20-2004, 03:00 PM
How'd you make out with building a rack for all the tanks?
Like the web site,but you gotta clean the glass before you take pics(dont take it the wrong way)First impressions are important,especially when selling livestock.Cheers.

DOO-E
08-20-2004, 08:55 PM
Well the back and side glass i personaly like it like that but the front those little green spots just dont scrub off. Any Ideas. The racks worked good. In fact so good somebody payed for wood and labour and bought them off of me so I have to build another system.

Dale D
08-20-2004, 10:25 PM
A razor blade will take the other algea off.

albert_dao
08-26-2004, 12:05 AM
Captive bred rams do fine in REGULAR TAP WATER. There is absolutely no need to dick around with the water parameters. I've bred both rams and guppies with nothing but good maintanance routines and high quality feedings.

DOO-E
08-26-2004, 05:03 AM
Yes the rams are doing great. I have heard the same about discus when bought young i heard you can slowly get them used to your tap water. May not be good for breeding but one of the LFS here said he had a pair that bred for him monthly and all he did to his tap water was add it to the tank.

StirCrazy
08-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Captive bred rams do fine in REGULAR TAP WATER. .

thats a pretty broad statement isn't it.. so no matter what my tap water is like they will do fine?

like I said be for they may live heck all fish may live in any water, but we are not giving them they best quality of life. and if you goal is to give the creatures in your care a low quality of life then maybe you should sell plastic fish for those people. and I will state it again they don't do fine, the tolerate it. and yes any captive breed will do better in water it is used to but when you say tap water, if I raised them in my tap water out here I bet you they will still do bad when sent to "your" tap water conditions or vise versa.

I know that the idea of a fish store is to make money (or there wouldn't be any) and I also know one of the best money makers is pretty fish that have a OK success rate, if they have a heck of a survival rate then no one buys more. if they have a horrible rate no one wants more as they keep dieing, but if you only lose about 50% (or lose them slowly one at a time) then you will buy more. look at us with blue chromis :rolleyes: look at neon tetra's two prime examples. I have had rams for years, my last one only recently kicked the bucket after having him for 4 years and I would say that I have lost about 50% of them (all wild) now this was due to a few factors, one being fish compatibility. I stressed out a bunch of them to the point of death and I didn't even know what was going on. once I figured that out I started having success.

Steve

muck
08-27-2004, 02:36 PM
...like I said be for they may live heck all fish may live in any water, but we are not giving them they best quality of life.

Steve
IMO the whole reason for being in this hobby is because I enjoy it. I enjoy looking at the fish, corals, what have you. Yet, I also have a certain responsibility to the livestock. I will provide these animals with the best conditions, living quarters, I can. Surviving is not good enough. I want them to thrive. When animals in your care are thriving, there is a lot more enjoyment from the hobby as well as a greater sense of satisfaction.

Richer
08-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Wow, 175+ watts over a 40 gallon for your plants? I sure hope you plan on putting on a CO2 injection system and a nutrient dosing routine real soon... or your fish and plants are going to get smoothered in algae. I know that if I slack off on my 70 gallon (with 220 watts) for a period of time, everything gets choked up with algae. To the more experienced aquarist, you obviously didn't do much research before jumping into this. My suggestiong? Take down those lights, buy yourself a cheap flouresecent setup from Home Depot, and get yourself floating plants. That would bring your light levels down to "low", make things easier on your power bill, algae won't take over your tank, and the floating plants will provide additional cover for your fish.

Good luck with selling Rams... I know that its difficult for the average keeper to break even in this kind of business, and even more difficult for them to make money.

-Richer

DOO-E
08-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Of course agree with you 100 percent but you left one thing out. You should also try to mimic their home enviroment to the best of your abilities. This will also give not only the fish but you a happier place to be.

Richer
08-27-2004, 06:24 PM
So an algae choked tank will best mimic a ram's environment? No environment is algae free, that would be impossible. However, if you look at a ram's environment, you won't see that its choked with algae. Which your tank will be if you keep those lights up.

-Richer

DOO-E
08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Richer dont get ahead of yourself here. The algea is receding everyday. Not only have i added some dwarf algea eaters but i have added more plants which are taking up everything that the algea needs to grow. It is slowly but surly receding everyday. I havent posted new pics yet but i will in time.

Richer
08-27-2004, 10:38 PM
Ok, I'll hold my tongue until I see pictures then. Its just that with all the years of experience that I've had with plants and advising other people, I've never seen anyone get away with that much lighting on a plant tank without an algae explosion.

-Richer

aznufo
08-28-2004, 10:22 AM
the fact that you need to scrape algae off your glass day in/out does not resemble your algae receding, but actually thriving... adding plants takes out a DIMUNITIVE amount of nitrates, but does not help much in clearing up algae. adding more algae eaters, etc. and fish to your aquarium will dissipate the chances of your rams forming pairs and will only add confusion to your "pea soup" (pardon the expression, noticed your green pictures)... what you first need to figure out is if you wanna run a community planted display tank or if you wanna just breed rams... from what WE see that you have posted, you are headed in the wrong direction of what your company seems to be striving for... I have bred and kept freshwater angelfish and discus for years and neons are almost always eaten... different mixtures of fish in your "intended" breeding tank will disrupt breeding cycles and cause your tank to crash. I suggest you read up on some books prior to keeping your tank.

As for rams when they are young and growing like this you should keep them in soft tap water so they get the essential "elements" or whatever you would call them from the water. Now when they are older yes i will keep them with a lower pH but for now when they are young and not breeding I am going to keep them at a slightly acidic Ph so i am not muching wiht the water too much.acidic water is 'primarily' soft; you said you would keep them at lower pH when they are older, but you also said you're keeping them at a slightly acidic pH, well just to tell you LOW pH does mean ACIDIC, judging from your lack of water chemistry knowledge, you should really read up lots before you start.. because freshwater fish are not as simple as they seem..

DOO-E
08-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Maybe u havent been here or just tried to jump into a canvo u had no idea what was going on or maybe even u got the wrong impression. The rams will stay in that tank along with a pair of agels( tank will be divided) and i am setting up a larger planted display tank. So right now when the rams arent even breeding or showing any sign i am not worried. They even rnt hanging around with each other yet. They just chase other fish off together and sleep together thats all. I know though that they are male female. Once i have an established pair and everything is good for them i will take everything (the fish) out. I am also dimming the light to 2 30 watt power glos and 1 grow bulb over the tank so over all there will be 3 watts per gallon.

TANGOMAN
08-31-2004, 01:30 PM
Ryan, a very good point...!
"Just 'cause they're sleeping together doesn't mean they're breeding..."
I learned that long ago... :lol:

DOO-E
08-31-2004, 01:46 PM
Yes that it is hard to tell alot of people think that as soon as they pair off they are what is called a "breeding pair" when they havent even bred yet. Now the angels i have on hold are a breeding pair. How do i know this u may ask. They have eggs in the store right now and are the only angels in the the tank. Cant wait to get them puppies home.

TANGOMAN
08-31-2004, 04:01 PM
Uuuuuh, I wasn't refering solely to fish with that statement... :confused:. What I meant was, just because two people are having...aaaaah, never mind.

TANGOMAN
08-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Oh ya', Aznufo, I think your comment regarding knowledge of water chemistry is incorrect. I for one am unable to determine what Angel ions are and I admire those who can...

I'm confused though...are you breeding dogs now too ? :confused:

StirCrazy
08-31-2004, 06:11 PM
the fact that you need to scrape algae off your glass day in/out does not resemble your algae receding, but actually thriving... adding plants takes out a DIMUNITIVE amount of nitrates, but does not help much in clearing up algae. ..

actualy plants do take a heck of a lot out of the water.. I for one cannot grow algae in my tank and I over feed like a mad man, and add fertalizer like it is going out of style in my fresh water tank. but saying this you do have to go with the right kinda of plants. faster growing stem plants are the best. I suppose if you had a take full of crypts and java fern you might get some algae. If done right, which I did for a test when I set up this tank plants will adsorb enuf nutrents to add a wack of fish and never see a cycle. I did this with a 37 gal tank, put the water and plants in waited 2 days and added 10 lemmon tetra's 2 angel fish a dwarf groume *sp, and a couple others I can't remember. tested for amonia, nitrate and nitrite 3 times a day for 4 weeks and never got a reading whats so ever. so not that I recomend this method of fast stocking but if you are willing to watch it and spend the time and money on the right kinds of plants it can be very sucessfull.

Steve

DOO-E
08-31-2004, 07:50 PM
LOL sorry i thought u were talking about fish there. Spelling is fixed. No i am not breeding dogs did that already. Just a figure of speach. :lol:

Majestic_Aquariums
09-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Looked at the site, well done! I am not a computer expert, or fish expert, so I'm not going to pretend to be one. I didn't even build our site, my wife did. For a first attempt I think she did great as well. We are currently re-vamping ours, to be completed soon. But I am pretty aware of what kind of hours you have put into the venture, so I have to commend you. Best of luck! :smile:
Robert.

DOO-E
09-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Thank you robert. I hyavent done an update in a long time i might do one here quick and then another one when i get my discus in there.

Quinn
09-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Ryan, a very good point...!
"Just 'cause they're sleeping together doesn't mean they're breeding..."
I learned that long ago... :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Invigor
09-19-2004, 02:47 AM
www.aquariumstands.net

.....wow. Those stands are NIIIIIIIICE!

albert_dao
10-21-2004, 03:18 AM
www.aquariumstands.net

.....wow. Those stands are NIIIIIIIICE!

Thread = Hijacked

Yeah they are... I want to put my bed on top of one.

Coldwater
11-08-2004, 04:42 AM
Nice Site

Matt