PDA

View Full Version : Ready to give up on fish

Baker
05-20-2014, 01:01 PM
I am ready to give up on buying new fish. It seems I cant keep a new fish for longer than a couple of days. I had a kole tang for 6 months then added a naso and a week later found the kole tang on the floor. Then the naso kicked the bucket, then a month later my regal bit it. I bought a longhorn cowfish, that lasted about 5 days. Then more recently I bought a rainsford goby, saw him a couple of times then gone. I picked up a sand sifting goby up off another reefer and less than a week later seen a set of bones in the tank. I just got my frag tank up and running and was at an lfs and saw this bi color blenny and thought what a cool looking fish. So I picked him up. 2 days later, i couldnt find it so started a search and eventually found him in the sump still alive but didnt look good at all. I put him back in the tank and didnt expect him to live very long. Well this morning I woke up to find the last of him being finished off by my cleaner shrimp. When I started keeping sps coral I thought that keeping fish was a breeze but now sps is a breeze and I cant keep a new fish alive to save my own. :-(

H2o2
05-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Check for stray voltage

Baker
05-20-2014, 02:08 PM
I dont think thats the problem as these fish were all in different tanks at different times. Just bad luck im figuring.

straightrazorguy
05-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Don't give up on fish; a lot of us are able to keep fish alive for a long time. I would try to figure out the cause why fish are dying and eliminate it instead.

Coral Hoarder
05-20-2014, 04:47 PM
I had two crashes in a fowlr and best thing I ever did was start up a reef because I quit big fish

FishyFishy!
05-20-2014, 06:24 PM
There is definitely something going on. You need to get to the bottom of it asap. Have you checked your tank at night for massive Eunicid worms that might be picking the fish off? Get a grounding probe for stray voltage. Start a quarrantine procedure for every fish going into the tank. Try feeding them something different. Etc.

There are a tonne of things to do before giving up. I understand giving up after all options have been exhausted. But until then, put your thinking cap on and figure it out.

I would do a quarrantine system for sure. Start it up, see if there is any random deaths. If not, your display has an issue.

Baker
05-21-2014, 03:43 AM
Thanks for everyones help. Like I said before, i honestly think its just bad luck. A number of these fish were in not in the same tank so I can rule out the stray voltage. I still have the very first fish I bought(2 clowns). I have just started a frag tank up, took down my old display and am waiting to build my new display which means a whole new tank to stock. I am not going to be stocking it with large fish and my clowns will probably be the biggest fish in there.

Baker
06-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Well I'm going to give it another shot. Just bought another bi-color blenny. I really like these fish and was super disappointed with the loss so hopefully this one makes it. If it doesn't then that's it, no more fish for a long while.

Baker
06-17-2014, 03:58 AM
Well so far so good, I even went out and bought a Hector goby. It's shy but it's pretty cool looking. I'm really digging these smaller fish.

kien
06-17-2014, 04:12 AM
pics ? :-)

Baker
06-17-2014, 04:28 AM
If I knew how to post them without using the attachment feature and photo bucket. I've used up all my space. I don't have a computer and just use my phone. Any tips?

kien
06-17-2014, 04:29 AM
If I knew how to post them without using the attachment feature and photo bucket. I've used up all my space. I don't have a computer and just use my phone. Any tips?

you've used up all your space on photobucket ??? :surprise:

Baker
06-17-2014, 04:41 AM
No no, used up all my canreef space.

reefwars
06-17-2014, 04:52 AM
you've used up all your space on photobucket ??? :surprise:

Is that bad lol I'm on my second photo bucket account after the first maxed out and that's almost full too lol

kien
06-17-2014, 05:06 AM
Is that bad lol I'm on my second photo bucket account after the first maxed out and that's almost full too lol

really??? Wow. I take a lot of pictures and I am nowhere near maxxed out. Maybe try using Flickr instead. I use both but can't remember which one gives more space..

At any rate..

Baker, what you want to do now is upload any photos that you want to post to Canreef (or any other forum), to photo bucket. You can go to their website (and log in), then click on the orange 'Upload' button at the top of the website, or you can use their iPhone/Android app.

Once you've gotten your photos onto Photobucket, you select whatever photo you want to show on Canreef and click on its URL. It'll be listed towards the right of the photo under the "Links to share this photo" label. Click on the "direct" link. This will copy a link to that image into your clipboard.

Now go to can reef in another window or tab, and in your message editor, there is an icon at the top that looks like a mountain on a yellow backdrop. That's the image link option. Click on it and it will present you with a window to enter the URL of a photo. Past the image link that you copied into your clipboard from Photobucket, and click OK. Your image should now be inserted into your text (form post) as an inserted image link. To view it you can click on the 'preview post' button at the bottom of the message editor.

Hope that helps.

Baker
06-17-2014, 11:11 PM
Wow, thank you. When I get a minute I'll get that going. If I can do that then there is a tank build on its way that I have a bunch of pictures saved up for.

Baker
06-18-2014, 09:39 PM
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad244/Fraggincrazy/Mobile%20Uploads/20140617_181929_zpswcm31gtx.jpg (http://s940.photobucket.com/user/Fraggincrazy/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140617_181929_zpswcm31gtx.jpg.html)

Hope that worked.

reefwars
06-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Hey you have fish!!

reefwars
06-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Alive fish!!

kien
06-19-2014, 03:11 AM
It worked! Very nice :-)

Sent from my Maserati GranTurismo dashboard using Tapatalk.

Baker
06-19-2014, 04:56 AM
Yes for now. I caught the flippin blenny pickin at an acro frag and I don't care how cool he is. If he keeps that up I'm going to fire him out of that tank. I love the across more than I like that fish. Well now that I know how to post pictures I guess there's a tank build on its way.:biggrin: