PDA

View Full Version : Mandarin - Psychedelic

C&C
09-22-2002, 07:58 PM
My LPS has one of these beautiful fish and I very much want one my only problem is they want 90.00 bucks for the poor little guy, I can get one for J&L aquatics for 18.00. The real problem is that he is slowly starving to death in their tank. I have told them this to no avail, they tell me that it is eating flake food. (I have not seen it take any) It seems to be getting skinnier by the day. What to do??????????????

AJ_77
09-22-2002, 08:08 PM
What kind of fish? Show them the page from the J&L website, live or printed, and start your haggling with that. Then use the starving fish argument with stronger terms, and see where it goes. Tell them you'll be happy to save the poor thing for a reasonable price. (Ninety dollars?!? Is everything that expensive out there?)

BTW, is your tank swimming in pods and other bugs?

AJ

[ 22 September 2002, 16:08: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

chicki
09-22-2002, 09:34 PM
C&C I know exactly where you coming from. I've done "the rescue" myself. I paid $50.00. I just couldn't walk away, but the really sad part is...the week after???there'll be another one there in exactly the same shape. :(

Skimmerking
09-22-2002, 10:07 PM
Hey there C&C Welcome to the boardBy the way go to see another Army guy here on the board. ARe ya a RCR or BLach Hatter..LOL you will get lots of awesome ADVIce here and great ideas..
good luck. Ya make sure you have lots of pods in there Or the little fishy will get to be even littler

[ 22 September 2002, 18:19: Message edited by: asmodeus ]

Skimmerking
09-22-2002, 10:13 PM
ASk them to feed the fish with some mysis shrimp if the fish takes that you are go to go. I found there are really expensive there in Fredericton .and St ,John.
Oh ya the store i was talking about was PETS Unlimited,
Pretty sad when you have to get live rock for 12-14 dollars per lb ,its amazing how they getit here for that price. Have you tried going to www.saltwaterconnection.com (http://www.saltwaterconnection.com) ask for Jayson .awesome guy to deal with has lots of knowledge and awesome prices too. Really cheap rock all types you want, FIJI, ULTRA FIJI, MARSHALL

well hope this will help you out.

C&C
09-22-2002, 10:32 PM
Well first off I'm not an RCR or Blach hatter. I'm a Combat Engineer.

As to the pods in my tank, not too sure what that is? Little white things growing all over the glass behind my LR? My snails lay eggs all over the tank alomost every other week, can almost set my watch by them.

I tried pretty hard to get a better price for the prisoner but they will only move a whole 5 bucks. If it was only twice the price it would be easy, rescue him and spend time trying to name him smile.gif

Most of my purchases minus the tank have been from J&L, even shipped 130 lbs of LR (Fiji)cheaper than I could get it here.

Yes salt water is very expensive here, can't wait to get posted back to Edmonton!!!!!!

Troy F
09-22-2002, 11:56 PM
I'd leave it, hopefully you can explain the specialized diet of Synchiropus spp. to them so they don't bring them in often. Nearly all members of this genus are difficult to feed. They feed on the the tiny "bugs" living on your sandbed and rock work. Very rarely do they accept prepared foods. Usually a well established tank with no competition for the particular food goes a long way in the health of these fish.

stephane
09-23-2002, 12:40 AM
If I were you I let the fish there and buy one online at that price they only rip you! Sorry for the fish but if they loose it maybe they will not orther them anymore.

I have keep one for more than 6 years he was my prefered fish in the tank. At first he was only eat pods on live rock but after a couple of years
he begin to alway come eat when I fead the other fish. Is prefered food was formula one smile.gif

BUT :( I have move the tank last years after a fire in my house and when I get the reef back home I decide to transfert my bare bottom tank in a DSB so I put 8 bag of southdown in the tank, after that the water get very milky so I decide to put in a old magnum diatomic filter to get the water clear

When I get back from work I see that the magnum was not pumping any more and the streamer was gone looking further to see what going on I found my old buddy stock in the hose and he was dead :mad:

That was my biggest loose in all my years in reef aquarium those fish are so funy, beautiful ,and peacefull

Orther one you will not regret it but as Troy said you need a well established tank if not he will die after a couple of month because they dont eat prepared or flake food when they are from the wild. They will preferd to die :(

[ 22 September 2002, 20:43: Message edited by: stephane ]

naesco
09-23-2002, 12:53 AM
Please leave the fish at the LFS.
Whenever we buy a fish using a 'rescue justification' all we are doing is encouraging the LFS to order another one.
If it dies in their tank it is more likely that they will think about it before ordering another one.
In addition you are placing all your other fish at risk of disease and more often than not the rescued fish dies anyway.

EmilyB
09-24-2002, 12:00 AM
I have a Synchiropus picturatus in a 155g tank with lots of pods and rock.

In the typical reef, not much meaty food is fed. My reef has lots of fishes.

I feed lots of meaty food, and my mandarin regularily partakes of the additional fare, especially the homemade variety. He partakes quite avidly, although he is fat enough, and has plenty to graze.

He loves when I move rock around, as I stir up lots of tasty hiders I'm sure.

When I water change, I give him some extra because the other fish mostly hide when there is no flow. :D

Mighty Mouse has been here a year and some.

djbravoleader
09-25-2002, 03:44 PM
I dont know if this is any help but do not try and save that fish unless you have a refium going of some sort or you have a big tank. That fish needs bugs and no matter what you do he will starve in the long run. I had many of these fish that lived in my care for years but i also supplied them with a food sorce. Now, i do know that they will eat frozen food (my own observation) but i also remember reading somewhere that this does not mean it will keep them alive. All in all the right food source for the cute little guy will be needed. If you meet all that then go get him....you will get to love his personaliy, very active fish.