PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Vs. Dry Base Rock

Bartonious
05-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Trending towards Base Rock. But want to know peoples opinions?

Will you get the same biodiversity of bacteria in time?

How hard is it to introduce/breed copepods, in the refugium and with some rock shelters in the DT?

How hard is it to introduce coralline algae?

Any products recommended for aerobic/anaerobic bacteria?

Thanks

reefmandan
05-15-2014, 07:19 PM
I've had incredible success with base rock. I've used the Caribsea Base Rock, and to get it seeded, I through it in a pail with some tank water from the LFS and some ATM Colony for two weeks. Has worked great on several occassions!

As far as coralline, I suggest taking a small piece of rock that is covered, and cut some off and crush it up, and just dump it into the tank.

Proteus
05-15-2014, 07:49 PM
My current tank is 100% dry Marco rock, I cured it for 3 months in a Bin. To seed it I placed a sponge in previous tank for a while then put in bin with dry rock.
There are alot of people who will argue that live rock is better as you gave more biodiversity but tgat being said also includes pest
I have yet to see hydroids, many are or aptasia in my current tank and the culture seems to be great.

You can also buy pods to take up residence in your dry rock

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I would and have my 10 ft tank totally setup with dry rock.1st seeded by skimmer gunk:biggrin: then it's easily seeded by adding what ever you want and as diverse as you needed by coral frags to colonies to live sand or rock from a trusted source...
not to mention the price difference between dry and wet rock...

Bartonious
05-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Awesome! Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.

Wheelman76
05-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Check out the Pukani rock at fijireefrock.com , awesome stuff. I just bought 50lbs of it for my new build.

Wheelman76
05-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Very light and porous , and really cool shapes too. A little more expensive per pound than Marco rock , but it's not near as heavy as Marco, so as far as size goes it probably works out to be cheaper.

asylumdown
05-16-2014, 12:58 AM
I'm all over the dry rock too. My logic:

a) no one's ever published any sort of survey of bacterial fauna in a reef tank period, let alone a comparison between dry vs. live, so ideas about bacterial diversity are more nice stories we tell ourselves than anything we can actually know.

b) all the critters that typically populate reef tanks will get in to your tank whether you want them to or not, and whether you use marco rock or not. The critters that show up in reef tanks are pretty universal - you'll see the same ones whether you're looking at a tank in Canada, Europe, Asia, the US, or Australia. They're the creatures who, through an accident of evolution, acquired traits that allow them to reproduce in the presence of skimmers and filter socks; don't get eaten by things we normally keep (or reproduce fast enough that it doesn't matter); have diets that can be satisfied on the byproducts of what we feed our fish & corals; can survive being shipped around the world on damp rock; can hide in the tiniest crevice of the most innocuous looking rock; and can tolerate temperature and chemistry swings that would nuke most corals. There's 10,000 species of polychaete worm, and yet it's the same 5 or 6 species that show up in every tank, everywhere on the planet. This is true for friend and foe alike, but foe usually exhibit one of those traits to the extreme detriment of things you pay for.

c) live rock from the ocean might have one or two things on it that are rare, unusual or surprising, but that might just as well turn out to be the next great aquarium plague as it will something that you'd want in your tank.

d) the bacteria that do the work of running a tank are pretty much ubiquitous on planet earth. Sure you might get some ocean specific variant that you might not get from the doorknob you touched on your way out of the office, but you'll never know that and if they do the same job, who cares?

toytech
05-18-2014, 03:12 AM
My dry rock has just exploded with pods , ive seen bristle worms , feather dusters and flatowms all from frags ive got . It all gets in eventually .