PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Berghia Nudibranchs to control Aiptasia in my tank (Lower Mainland BC)

GregSt
05-15-2014, 04:45 AM
Anyone know where I can find some Berghia Nudibranchs?

I would also appreciate advice on their ability to control aiptasia.

My worry is that my wrasse may make a meal of them before they make a meal of the aiptasia. Anyone have this issue and know if a wrasse will pick them off? Would the nudi's size matter?

Slyguy00
05-15-2014, 04:48 AM
I am also looking for some. Waiting actually, have been in contact with someone who will have some soon. They only eat aptasia and nothing else, if you run out of aptasia they will starve. Also depending on the type of wrasses you have, they will eat them, but berghias only come out at night, so if your wrasses sleep in the sand you should be in the clear. Thats what I have been told anyways. I could be wrong but thats my understanding.

GregSt
05-15-2014, 04:59 AM
Thanks. I guess introducing them at night would be a good idea then. My wrasse is notorious for looking at everything new that enters the tank.

I have a lot of aiptasis (more than 60 i would guess) so I suspect the nudi's would have some food for some time...

When do you think you will be getting some and can you put me in touch with the person you are getting them from?

winterborn
05-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Guys take it from me, dont bother with nudis, copperband butterflies, or anything else. Hands down the best thing I ever had to get rid of aptasia is peppermint shrimp.2 of them in my aptasia filled 180 gallon cleared it out in less then 2 weeks,and after its all gone they are a new member of your clean up crew (dont die like nudis)

Slyguy00
05-17-2014, 08:09 AM
Yea if you want your acans and zoas to be eaten. Peppermint shrimp are no good and half the time done even eat aptasia unless your lucky. Mine ate everything but aptasia. Nudis are way better and way more efficient. Just my opinion.

GregSt
05-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Unfortunately peppermint shrimp are not an option, I have an aggressive wrasse and they would not last long. Thinking butterfly fish is the way to go. Still not sure however.