PDA

View Full Version : The nuclear option - total war on Neomeris Annulata

Slick Fork
05-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Hey,

So I've been battling Neomeris Annulata for the better part of the last few years. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's a small calcerous algae that for 90% of people starts and ends it's appearance as a bit of a novelty and fades rapidly from their reef tanks. For the unlucky others it takes over the tank trapping detritus, and absorbing insane amounts of calcium and alkalinity.

I've tried everything I could think of; manual removal, ULNS, high nutrients, blackout periods, you name it I probably tried it. This winter I even went so far as to pull all the rock in my display and give it the cooler treatment on the back deck, leaving my tank rockless for the last 3 months. I introduced a few dry pieces two weeks ago (I have a good chunk of "fresh" rock that's been cooking in a Rubbermaid since January) and wouldn't you know it, the rotten stuff sprouted up again.

So, tonight, all the fish went into my quarantine tank, all my coral went into a Rubbermaid (with many possibly contaminated pieces in a 10 gallon coral and clam quarantine). I drained all the salt water out of my display and sump and refilled with tap water and a whole jug of bleach. So, now that my evenings work is done I wanted a few opinions;

1) I was planning on leaving the tank running with the bleach solution until tomorrow evening; this should be long enough to completely kill any Neomeris spores that were in the system right? I have all the pumps and powerheads/wavebox going.

2) Once I empty the tank of the bleach solution, I was going to do a tap water soak/rinse for another 24 hours. Should be sufficient to start mixing salt-water in the display after that correct?

3) Since the bleach is basic, I could add Vinegar to the rinse cycle to help counter it, would that be helpful or am I complicating things.

4) Once I get new salt-water made, I will be adding rock from an uncontaminated system, then my coral (all frags and whole pieces are now in new-salt water; items in the coral and clam quarantine will remain there for observation until I'm sure there's no risk of accidentally reintroducing this plague), fish will go in once I'm sure that any cycle I get is over. I've got about 50lbs of fresh rock that's been cooking since mid-January so I'm not expecting much, if any cycling. The fish will make the transfer from the quarantine system which has contaminated water and rock in it; I will likely have a "dip" in clean salt water that I can dunk them in while netted between the Q-tank and the now clean display. Anything seem over the top? am I missing any steps?

5) My corals and clam quarantine tank. Are there any dips I can do that might remove the spores of this stuff that would be coral friendly? I've only got a few pieces that I'm really worried about, but there is also a clam that's had this stuff growing on it. It wouldn't be the endof the world if the few corals never made it back to the display; but I'd sure like to get the clam cleaned up. I've been pulling it and dripping Hydrogen peroxide on any N. Annulata's that show up on its shell. Anything else worth trying?

Sorry this is a little rambly. It's now almost 2am, all I can smell is bleach and I'm just winding down after finishing everything for the night.

Cheers,

reefwars
05-12-2014, 01:04 PM
I know this is late but what worked for me was a huge mg overdose. Wiped it all out overnight ,hardy stuff for sure as I was in same boat .

Good luck buddy:)

Slick Fork
05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Really? How much did you raise Mg by? Did you use a specific brand? I remember an old tank I had with bryopsis and it was only the Kent Tech M that worked so there was speculation that it wasn't the magnesium but something else Kent had in its mixture that did the trick.

How much did you raise mg by? I may use this idea on my coral/clam quarantine. As you said, a little late for the display but that's ok, half the fun is setting things up anyway. :)

Magickiwi
05-12-2014, 06:20 PM
I wonder if it's your fish that keep propagating the outbreaks. It's not generally pallitable to fish but if they do snack on it or your inverts do and it passes through their digestive tracts without being completely digested then you've got a nice starter colony being pooped on your freshly thawed live rock.

reefwars
05-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Really? How much did you raise Mg by? Did you use a specific brand? I remember an old tank I had with bryopsis and it was only the Kent Tech M that worked so there was speculation that it wasn't the magnesium but something else Kent had in its mixture that did the trick.

How much did you raise mg by? I may use this idea on my coral/clam quarantine. As you said, a little late for the display but that's ok, half the fun is setting things up anyway. :)

A lot , from 700 to 1400 in one dose , wasn't intentional to kill algae but couldn't help notice it was all gone next morning.

Randy says its prob an impurity in the tech m that kills bryopsis but he also notes that a very large and sudden spike in mg seems to kill macro algaes of certain types , this was one of them:)

He also warns against going more than 100ppm in a single rise as besides macro algae other animals including inverts and more delicate corals can suffer.

I had no loss minus the algae so I think I was lucky , the raise was because I was getting tired of 10 ppm a day rise and going no where so I went a bit crazy and dosed a 5g bucket of chloride and sulphate.

The easiest way to tell is stick a Rick with algae in a bucket with heater and power head and nuke it with mg to see the results for yourself before going further:)

Worked for me and overnight too all algae was white as a ghost and melted away. It will come back though so I think I needed a repeat dose.

Remember it's not the high level but the mass jump in mg.

Bryopsis is a different story

mark
05-12-2014, 07:10 PM
had to do a search on it, could look nice if you like green. Good luck getting rid of it.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/NA_zps7c4620ad.jpg

Slick Fork
05-12-2014, 07:41 PM
I wonder if it's your fish that keep propagating the outbreaks. It's not generally pallitable to fish but if they do snack on it or your inverts do and it passes through their digestive tracts without being completely digested then you've got a nice starter colony being pooped on your freshly thawed live rock.

I hadn't thought about that. It's very possible that that's how it's been happening.

I'm pretty optimistic that after this round I'll have annihilated it. The fish are the only ones with contaminated sand or rock with them now and at that I checked each piece that is in the quarantine tank for strands of this stuff and any that were present I just threw the whole rock out.

That said, anybody know how long it would take to go through a fish's digestive system? My largest fish is a foxface.

Slick Fork
05-12-2014, 07:42 PM
had to do a search on it, could look nice if you like green. Good luck getting rid of it.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/NA_zps7c4620ad.jpg

Ha,

Yeah my tank wasn't quite that bad; but getting close.

Slick Fork
05-14-2014, 03:50 AM
Easy to underestimate/forget how much work a tear down/rebuild is. RO water going back into the tank tonight!