PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp?

EdsonFOWLR
05-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I got 2 peppermint shrimp from big als, yesterday and this morning I can only see 1 of the 2 hiding under the rock, are these shrimp just really good hiders or could the other shrimp or fish have taken the one out in the night? The one that I can see is doing really well and so is everything else in the tank. In the tank I have (2) common clownfish, (1) six spot sleeper Goby, (3) turbo snails, (10) blue legged hermit crabs, (2) peppermint shrimp.

corpusse
05-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Mine always hide. I can go years without seeing them other then at night.

EdsonFOWLR
05-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Mine always hide. I can go years without seeing them other then at night.

Ok good thought I might have lot the one since I can only see the one hiding in the hole.

Kait
05-12-2014, 04:38 AM
Definitely hiding. Well, assumably, until you see a dead shrimp. My boyfriend has a 90g reef with a massive amount of rock. He had two peppermint shrimps, then we thought they had both died. I put two more in his tank, thinking they were all gone. Well, after a massive crash that just about destroyed all of the inverts… we now regularly see two peppermint shrimps… one that I bought, and one of the original ones. They definitely hide, and hide well!

EdsonFOWLR
05-12-2014, 05:10 AM
I think I might have saw a dead one but it was just a long shrimp sized white chunk of something. The one I can see will come out when food is put in but I don't see any others grabbing chunks of food. Do they kill and eat each other? I also only have 50lbs of rock in the tank, there are hiding spots but you would think food would draw them out a little.

Kait
05-12-2014, 05:32 AM
I have a peppermint in my tank that zooms around, he's always out and is just a delight to watch. The two in my boyfriend' stank do not come out for food. We can see them chilling in the little spots, and you can rarely see them zooming around the tank at night, but they don't come out for food.

I doubt the one killed the other, however, they are opportunistic eaters, and would likely munch on the carcass of one that died. It's possible that the second one just didn't make it over night. :(

Magickiwi
05-12-2014, 02:17 PM
I see mine occasionally when I feed but that's infrequent. Normally they stay hidden in the rock, just swaying in the current. They can be hypnotic to watch if you can find them.

They used to be much more social but pretty well all my shrimp just hide now. My skunks, my peppermint and my coral banded just stay hidden.

EdsonFOWLR
05-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Thanx everyone for the posts, it turns out that my second peppermint shrimp was hiding on the far side of the tank because he was shedding and it was the shed exoskeleton that I saw on the bottom.

Kait
05-14-2014, 12:40 AM
Yay! Good news!