PDA

View Full Version : opinons on equipments etc

fishguyxd
08-11-2004, 02:45 AM
I was wondering if someone knows is a rio type brand pump good or are the quiet one brand or mag pumps better. also what is the proper size for a 72 bow tank with overflow installed. how much sand and or live sand or aregnite
should I get any idea's ????????
please and thanks

trilinearmipmap
08-11-2004, 02:51 AM
Mag 9.5 seems about right, depends on your overflow size.

Rios have an interesting reputation, they have a new line of pumps now, maybe they are better.

mr_alberta
08-11-2004, 03:54 AM
The older Rio's had a lot of issues, but I've read some good opinions about the new high flow Rio Seio pumps (though no long term testing has been done since they've only been out a few months).

The older Quiet One pumps (with a blue metal casing) are suppose to be bulletproof, but the newer pumps (all plastic casing) are not as reliable I hear.

Mag pumps seem to have a good reputation, but its one of those love it or hate it pumps. Sometimes they leak if run externally, they give off quite a bit of heat, some hum a lot. I however, can deal with most of these things and like them quite a bit.

Sizing a pump depends on a few things:
1) size of drain bulkheads and flow capacity of overflow box
2) what you want to keep (coral wise) in the tank
3) how far you have to pump up

So, if you could give us these details, we'll be able to help you out more.

sleeman
08-11-2004, 05:26 PM
fishguyxd
I am running a mag 18 on a 75 gal with about 7' of head pressure. I am happy with the flow, but the tank could take alot more.
As for sand depth, good luck. Everyone has a different opinion as to what is best. I would say to read a bunch of articles and go with what you are going to be happy with. For what it is worth, I was going to go with the DSB but opted for about 1.5 - 2" of sand in my main tank and 6" in the refugium. I think that I will remove the DSB from the refuge in the next few months, as I am not stirring it up much so it probably isn't helping me all that much.

If you are looking for sand, I think I have about 3 or 4 bags of SWC aragonite. 25 bucks a bag.

Cheers,

Al

Stirfry
08-12-2004, 01:14 AM
i have a rio sump pump and it pumps 2400L/h and is fine and is reliable and it is about 3 years old or older!!

still runs great!