PDA

View Full Version : Could It Have Cycled?

SCHMUSTIN
05-09-2014, 03:50 AM
I have had my tank running for about 3 weeks now and have had live rock in and a deli shrimp since the start. It's a 55 gal with 53 lb of live rock. The rock is awesome and came with lots of hitch hikers feather dusters and coraline alge.

I have a 100 gal skimmer along with a Aqua Clear110. filter and have good new age growth on the rocks as well as the sand.

PH is 8.2
SG is 1.025 to 1.026
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Amonnia 0
Temp 78F

It ran for about 9 days before I started testing it cause I did not have a kit. I have been testing every day to every other day and all test are showing up perfect.

Is it possible that the tank could have cycled and I didn't even know it?

Cujo#31
07-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Best way is to add amonia to system until detectable in test kit, and see what system does with it. If everything is working the way it is supposed to u will see levels drop and cycle thru.

Aquattro
07-18-2014, 01:48 AM
Was the live rock cycled? If so, you won't go through really any cycle at all.

Aquattro
07-18-2014, 01:48 AM
Further, even if it wasn't cycled, it is now. Assuming this wasn't dry rock?

johnnyriker22
07-20-2014, 10:58 PM
If you have no ammonia or nitrites then it's fully cycled. Otherwise the cycle has not completed. Is there any diatoms on the sand or cyanobacteria on the rock? Those are good signs your cycle has not completed. When you do start putting livestock in try snails to start as they are pretty tough. When you add more stuff to the tank your bio-load will build up but you'll need to let the bacteria in the tank catch up so add slowly. It's no fun having a full tank anyways :p

johnny