PDA

View Full Version : new salt mix good to use?

jason604
05-09-2014, 12:36 AM
anyways i mixed a batch of salt water in those 30g rubbermaid garbage bins like i always do but this time i left it mixing for a week now due to being too busy to change it. I normally mix it for only a day and change it right away. I smelled in water today and it smelt funny. Would it still be safe to use or just toss and make new?

Slyguy00
05-09-2014, 12:47 AM
I would never add anything that smelt "funny" into my tank. just my opinion.

gqlmao
05-09-2014, 12:56 AM
I have found that water left stagnant for a few weeks usually builds up a slime coat on the container it is held in. If it smells funny cause its been lacking air and usually stagnant water left for a long time is bad. If it smells funny don't risk it.

jason604
05-09-2014, 02:52 AM
I think it smells funny cuz I left the lid on the can n mybe ur right with the lack of air thing. I guess ill just dump it n make new or just 50% with 50% new iono

jason604
05-10-2014, 04:17 AM
yup, took off the lid overnight and all the smell is gone! Will use it all tmr

e46er
05-12-2014, 04:52 AM
I usually mix water up right away after a WC(do them every 2 weeks) and just keep a power head going in it those korilia powerheads only draw like 10 watts so it's nothing and just throw a heater in the night before you plan a WC and that way you don't have to worry about smell or anything

banditpowdercoat
05-23-2014, 03:06 PM
I have had water mixed for a month and all is good. In rubbermade buckets. Just circulate for a few hrs before changing. I always make up 15g of change water before I go to camp for 3 weeks. Incase something happens. Then when I come home, I do a WC with it, and make a new batch. Usually its made for 6wks as I do a 15g change 1 every 6 weeks when Im home. Mind you, I am a FOWLR tank basically.

Simmy
05-26-2014, 12:03 AM
I usually mix water up right away after a WC(do them every 2 weeks) and just keep a power head going in it those korilia powerheads only draw like 10 watts so it's nothing and just throw a heater in the night before you plan a WC and that way you don't have to worry about smell or anything

I do this too. I leave a power head aerating the water and no funny smells when its time for your WC.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk