PDA

View Full Version : FF Long Horn Cowfish CGY

asylumdown
05-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Hey folks, I'll try this again and see what happens -

10" long horn cowfish free to a good home. A large tank is a must. Loads of personality, in perfect health. I would not describe him as reef safe, though he's been in my reef since he was a baby.

He's not a good candidate for shipping.

NanoReef
05-09-2014, 02:46 AM
Oh no! Ferdinand! :( sad to see him go. Good luck with the sale. Wish I had the room for this beautiful fish

asylumdown
05-09-2014, 02:56 AM
I know me too :(

With all the problems I've been having with my tank recently I think it's better for him to find a new home. I also just discovered that my two year old tank with corals falling apart left, right and centre has an ammonia concentration of 1-2ppm. This is obviously related to the problems I've been having, but it puts me in an even more precarious situation considering how much I have to feed him. Something has gone seriously wrong with my tank that has nothing to do with him, but keeping him properly fed right now is going to make it very difficult to get things back on track, and puts everything in the tank at risk.

smareo
05-09-2014, 06:45 PM
would he be able to fit in a 200g? with a purple face angel about 10 ich's? other small tangs

asylumdown
05-10-2014, 03:47 AM
He might, what are your tank's dimensions?

asylumdown
05-15-2014, 06:18 AM
bump

kaboom
05-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Can you tell me what you are feeding him as a stable diet? Is it able to compete for food with angels and tangs? I have a 180g that could use it's personality.

asylumdown
05-16-2014, 06:51 PM
He's a slow eater, but I find the current is more his enemy than other fish. If you turn the pumps on your tank down when you feed he would be fine. I've got a large doliatus rabbit, a powder blue tang, and a blue throat trigger that he competes with no problem.

His main staples are:

clams on the half shell (LOOOOOOVES those)
Ocean Nutrition Formula One gel cubes (he's the only one that eats them, so whoever takes him takes my supply)
Nori
Pacifica plankton

He also eats both PE and mysis (the large ones) and rarely the smaller hikari mysis.

Basically he prefers to eat larger food, which is why he doesn't pay much attention to the small mysis or brine shrimp, and he generally only goes after the big mysis if I've skimped on the pacifica plankton. At feeding time I thaw out one or two cubes of the Ocean Nutrition and drop them in the tank whole with the rest of the frozen. They sink straight to the bottom and he always bee-lines for them. He can consume an entire cube in about 3 slurps. Then he'll wander about slowly picking off the plankton and any large mysis that are left (those go quick) until the pumps come back on at which point the food moves too fast for him to catch it.

I feed clams in the morning, though I've recently switched his morning feed to another cube of ocean nutrition and a sheet of nori on the suggestion that the cheap manilla clams I've been buying might come from water that doesn't exactly meet reef standard, and that daily feedings of them over time might have contributed to some of my recent problems. When I do feed clams, the other fish go nuts and it takes a bit for him to muscle in, but once he gets there he can polish off an entire small to medium clam in a single slurp.

If you feed nori to your tangs on a daily basis, I think you'd find that he would be the one out competing them. He's not fast on the draw, but once he makes it to the sheet, he can literally hoover an entire 6 inch piece of nori in 2 bites. What he lacks in speed and aggression, he makes up for in volume.

asylumdown
05-23-2014, 08:13 PM
bump