PDA

View Full Version : My Clownfish Are happy

TAZ
08-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

Stopped by J&L on the weekend and they had two amazing Heteractis Magnifica Anemones in (still one left). This is an Anemone that my wife and I have always loved, and had done a lot of research on them. With that in mind, we decided we should get one of them. The pictures do not do this thing justice, the diameter is around 10", and it seemed to weigh a ton when I picked it up. We were hoping our Clownfish might show interest in it, but never expected it to be so fast. Within 30 seconds (no exaggeration) of being added to the tank both of them dove head first into the Anemone and have not left it since. They absolutely love this thing, I have never seem them so happy. I wanted to share some Pics with you guys, but like I said the pictures do not do this any justice

The first Minute
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479Tank43.jpg

Checking Things Out
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479Tank41.jpg

Full Tank Shot
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479Tank42.jpg

LostMind
08-10-2004, 11:30 PM
That thing is beatiful! Good luck with it!

Delphinus
08-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Hi

Nice find. Good luck with it. :cool:

Just a word of advice though -- it's not in the best spot in your tank, and you may find it will wander as a result.

H. magnifica belongs on the top of the reef, that's where it wants to be and that's where you'll always find them in the wild (in fact, they may even be above the tideline during extreme low tides). They want as much light as possible so they will gravitate towards a light source, and they want to be in surging type current. Basically, a lot of light, a lot of current, a fair amount of feeding, and top of the reef; are absolute musts for this species.

Once again though, nice find, and good luck.

Jaws
08-11-2004, 03:13 AM
Nice tank. I really like your rockwork. What kind of rock do you have and where did you get it?

TAZ
08-11-2004, 04:55 PM
Tony,

I was wondering about placement for this guy. I did know that they like to be on the top of the reef, but am hoping he like's it where he is. He is directly under my 250W MH (brand new bulb I bought on the weekend). The picture does not show it, but it also has great flow on it. I have PH's on a wavemaker and it gets really good movement. If it does decide to move I can move other coral around, but hopefully it decided to stay where it is.

Jaws,

Can't take credit for the rock work, that's my wife. She has a great eye for this kind of thing. About a month ago she wanted to aquascape again, and that was the end result of a couple hrs work. The rock actually came from Big Al's, I bought it two years ago when I first got into the hobby (and before I knew about J&L). Most of the rock is Fiji, with some Tonga mixed in.

Delphinus
08-11-2004, 05:15 PM
I think that having a bright light directly above will help to encourage it to stay put .. they really do gravitate towards light so if they can sense that by moving one direction or another -- that this takes them away from that bright light -- that they may come back. I have mine in a focal spot between two lamps (reflectors are tilted towards each other to create that focal hotspot). If for some reason one light doesn't fire, so that there's light only on one side -- and it's more than, say, an hour or two -- that sucker goes for a walk over to the lit side. It's that fast a response. It gets to be a challenge at summertime when it's light outside earlier than the tank lights turn on ("Oh! The sun's over there now ... Ok.")

But they definitely don't seem to take well to being "boxed" in - if they can sense that they're in an enclosed space they'll likely wander upwards. At the size it's at, you might be OK, for now, since it doesn't seem to be touching the reef walls yet. However just be ready for it. If it does well for you, it will grow quickly. When I bought my ritteri it was about 5" across. It was more than 18" across within 2 or 3 months. :eek: That was three years ago! I don't know how big he is nowadays. On a good day he looks 24" though. Just huge. Biggest one I ever saw was 30" across.

DOO-E
09-09-2004, 01:12 PM
Well Percs naturaly reside in these anemones so I could see why they took a dive bomb right for it. Nice looking anemone. One question in 100 years when it is 3 feet across what r u going to do with it?

Delphinus
09-09-2004, 03:15 PM
They need a very big tank. It won't take 100 years to get to be too big for most tanks.

This is mine in a 72g. I think it's fair to concede it's outgrown the tank. I'm currently saving up for a (much) larger setup for it.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/92ritteri.jpg

The 30" one that I saw in a tank, the tank was in a public aquarium and approximately 25 feet long by about 8 feet deep (front-to-back) and maybe about 5 feet tall. Man, now THERE's a tank I wish I could have in my basement. :lol:

Dazz
09-09-2004, 04:29 PM
A little off topic but Taz, love the rockwork (and the new anemone ;) ).

TAZ
09-09-2004, 04:31 PM
So it's been about a month since he went in the tank. My plans for him to stay on the ground did not last, he moved about a week after I put him in and has not moved since then. Apparently my talk with him about staying in one place did not work :biggrin: He now pretty much covers the right side of the tank (i'll take some new shots tonight and post tomorrow). I had to move a couple corals around but everything came out fine. It really seems to be doing well in the tank, and already seems bigger.

In terms of a new tank, that was something we were already starting to price out. We are just debating on the size and type we want, but we know for sure it will be at least 200 gallons. We are hoping to have this setup before Christmas.

TAZ
09-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Hi all,

I wanted to post a couple photo's to update you on our Anemone progress. The first is a full tank shot that shows his new location, he has been there for a long time now. Seems happy, takes food all the time. Hopefully he says there

Full Tank Shot
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479IMGP1208.jpg

Here a shot a little closer up
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479IMGP1209.jpg

Enjoy

AJ_77
09-18-2004, 12:16 AM
That's a great photo, that last one! Can I ask what is the small whitish anemone-looking thing to the left of the Ritteri?

TAZ
09-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi Alan,

The anemone in the back is a bubble tip. He used to sit more in the front, but since the big guy moved in he has changed locations. He is still on the move, so not sure where he is going to end up yet.

Fish
09-22-2004, 03:05 AM
Taz,
That is beautiful! Seeing that picture is the first time I have regretted my decision to go from a 90 to a nano, way to go.

- Chad

Snoop Dog
09-23-2004, 10:01 PM
Is it normal for both clowns to host in the anenome? One of mine wont let the other anywhere near it? I bought them both at the same time when they were only about a Centimeter big. I have always just assumed the female is protective of teh anenome?

TAZ
09-24-2004, 12:00 AM
At first the female was very protective of the anemone, every time the male tried to move is she would chase him off. So the male would just hand out on the edge in zip in whenever she was not looking :biggrin: It took a couple weeks but eventually he was allowed to say in it all the time.

kooltank
11-14-2004, 05:35 AM
Take care of that powerhead inlet by using some foam. If your anamone decides to wrap around the powerhead, you can kiss her goodbye.

sumpfinfishe
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Hey Taz,
I had had a few carpets over the past 7 years and both ougrew my 27gl at about two years each. I only use to feed them around once of month, cause if your feeding all the time they will get huge in no-time-flat!
Great looking tank btw, I'm sure your percs are lov'n you now :biggrin:

Ryan
12-11-2004, 04:23 AM
Wow that thing keeps getting better every time i look at it. I like the look of the tank. Reminds me of the rock selves you would see in tide pools.

TAZ
02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
So first of all I wanted to post an update on the tank, this shot was taken yesterday. As you can see, the big anenome went for a walk again, he has now been in the new location for about 2 weeks. It is hard to tell from this shot but he spans the entire length of that side glass, with him in the new location is sure makes it easier to feed him.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/479Tank63.jpg

I believe the answer is going to be yes, but wanted to ask you guys. Do these types of anemones split? With him up on the glass I have a great view, and it really looks like he is starting to split. I am assuming that all types of anemones do split, so soon enough I am going to have two big anemones to take care of :razz:

It may not look like it from this pic, but I really am winning the battle with the Algae, it is almost gone now. I figure a couple more weeks and it's done :lol:

Delphinus
02-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Wow, love the derasa.

As to your question though ... nope, not all anemones split. Whether yours will is a definite ..... "maybe." Some ritteri's have been known to split, but it's a rare occurence compared to BTA's.

The only way to know for sure if you have a splitter is if it itself comes from a known splitter.

PS. Told ya it wouldn't stay down there .... :razz: :lol: Really nice anemone though. You should try to make the top of the coral bommie an ideal home for it.