PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Phosguard

canadianbudz604
05-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey can I run seachem phosguard in a tlf 150 reactor? It's powered by a mAxi jet 400 and is set to very low flow. Anyone done this? Anyone use phosguard in a reactor? I've Tryed to google it and get tons of mixed results.

monocus
05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
i believe it starts to leach aluminum or something like that after a couple of days.thats why its recommended to remove it after 3 days

canadianbudz604
05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
So basically don't buy it unless u want all your corals to die?

input80
05-04-2014, 11:50 PM
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/PhosGuard.html
Have you read this Jesse ?

hfp75
05-05-2014, 12:41 AM
Phosguard is useless... Run Rowa!!!

I tried it once and was unimpressed.....

JmeJReefer
05-05-2014, 02:00 AM
Crap... I use this....crap again

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk

Drazil
05-05-2014, 02:33 AM
I've been running it in my system and have noticed my torch corals reacting badly guess I'm gonna remove the phosguard

canadianbudz604
05-05-2014, 02:37 AM
I've tried to run rowaphos it's so damn messy and expensive. No one has had any success with phosguard here?

Magickiwi
05-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Sure it removed phosphates in my system but it did irritate the hell out of my LPS corals.

If you run it in a reactor make sure the flow is slow enough that it doesn't tumble *at all*. If it tumbles you'll get it breaking up and getting into your water column. GFO is safer to use, Rowaphos being the "premium" brand of GFO.

TimT
05-05-2014, 09:35 PM
I just use Foz Down... Phosphates gone immediately. No muss no fuss.

Cheers,
Tim

Aquattro
05-05-2014, 11:49 PM

Cheers,
Tim

My LFS has used this over the last couple weeks, PO4 pretty much 0ppm

hfp75
05-06-2014, 02:45 AM

Foz Down is lanthanum chloride and a buffer. It binds to P04 and then it settles in your tank, on your sand and on your rocks. If you want to use this stuff then you need to VERY slowly dose it into a really fine filter sock in hopes that your sock will grab it once it has bound to the P04 but not to fast or the unbound lanthanum chloride leaves the sock, binds in the system & settles. If you just dose it and don't remove the waist (the bound P04 + lanthanum chloride) via a filter sock, the P04 is not out of your system. When it eventually unbinds from the lanthanum chloride it is back in your system. It also has some bad side effects if you accidentally dose to much...

If you want to cook some rock with it go for it. Once it has cooked you need to really wash off the rocks before they go into your system.

RowaPhos removes phosphates (P04)........... it is very simple people. I have tried the economy HC-GFO and it didnt work at all..... I was using a Hanna P04 tester and tested the in and the out of the reactor... I use Rowa and that is it!!! My P04 is 0.09 cause I want it between 0.05 and 0.1

RuGlu6
05-06-2014, 04:51 AM
Hey can I run seachem phosguard in a tlf 150 reactor? It's powered by a mAxi jet 400 and is set to very low flow. Anyone done this? Anyone use phosguard in a reactor? I've Tryed to google it and get tons of mixed results.
I do use it the tlf reactor with small maxijet. My LPS do not show any bad signs i have green open brain, red gonioproah and a torch.
Have been using it in moderation for a long time.
Throw it away when it turns yellow.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/PhosGuard.html

canadianbudz604
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm using it in the reactor with very slow flow, and it doesn't seem to bug anything but my Kenya trees, which is awesome! Only use 1/4 of a cup in the reactor and it seems to be perfectly fine. Phosphates Aren't showing up at all on the test. For me I'm on the island working so my 12 ur old son is taking care of the tank and I change out all the medias every 2 weeks when I'm home. at $8.99 for a big bottle of phosguard it does what I need it to do and cheap.

AquaticExpressions
05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
The reason that Phosguard recommends it to potentially removed within 3 days because of how fast the product works in efficiently removing phosphates. Once the phophates have been removed then you add new phosguard to ensure phosphates don't climb. Phosguard is a spherical Aluminum Oxide. Aluminum oxide is an insoluble form or aluminum. At the pH most hobbyist keep reef tanks, release of aluminum is not an iue for corals. Aluminum oxide is not easily absorbed into the cell to cause negative reactions. Even at three times the dose of PhosGuard, oft bodied corals such as Sarcophyton, do very well with more than the recommended dosage of PhosGuard.

The removal of phosphate isn't low or gradual when using PhosGuard, so the quick change can show negative impact that is temporary also it is not rechargeable.

Drazil
05-09-2014, 02:15 AM
Foz down is where it's at!! Nuff said.

canadianbudz604
05-09-2014, 02:46 AM

Thanks man, I'm glad you answered my questions about using phosguard.

hfp75
05-09-2014, 02:59 AM

Yes if you are cooking rocks..... or something else in a purpose driven short term tank....

NOT in your main tank.....

Bean
05-09-2014, 04:55 PM
I have used it, was running it in my system non stop with no ill effects on anything, in fact I'm going to start again. I only changed it out once a month. I liked it cause it was affordable and easy to used since it's in bead form. That's my experience with it.

RuGlu6
05-09-2014, 08:42 PM
I have used it, was running it in my system non stop with no ill effects on anything, in fact I'm going to start again. I only changed it out once a month. I liked it cause it was affordable and easy to used since it's in bead form. That's my experience with it.

+1 same here i am still using it atm

canadianbudz604
05-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Good to hear people are using it with good results and no ill effects. Seems to be working perfectly fine still in my reactor hasn't changed colours or anything, so I'll defiantly be buying it again. Rowaphos defiantly is good as well, I've used it as well as phosguard, both were fine. But like I said before I can buy 3 huge jars of phosguard for the price of one jar of rowaphos.