PDA

View Full Version : Yuma ricordea care

milou
05-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Hi I just started collecting yuma ricordea (not florida type). Please share your thoughts on the husbandry of this ricordea. In the past I've had them melted on me for no apparent reason. After reading several articles I realized my mistake and placement was the problem, I liked to put them close to the top of the tank. My new colonies are the bright red yumas with several babies on the rock. I put them down at the bottom under the frag rack and they are looking good but I plan to slowly move them in the open. My yumas are about 2" and I've seen red yumas growing to 5" in aquarium before. My question is do yuma like to be fed and what kind of food and how often you feed them. Any advise is greatly appreciated, thanks.

mohammadali
05-03-2014, 10:41 PM
hey mike ask Bill , i saw a yuma in hes jellyfish tank for almost a year and they both were doing well under 1 strip blue and some fluorescent

monocus
05-03-2014, 11:00 PM
i feed rotifers to my tanks,as well as live brine shrimp

milou
05-03-2014, 11:01 PM
I don't want to just keep it I want to grow them. I had 1 orange florida ricordea for 1 yr and it's still 1 head not growing at all. My leather frag is also not growing. The only thing growing in my tank is zoas. My 1 head rasta (down from 3) just grew 2 new heads in like 1 month. I don't know if this is good growth rate or not.

FishingGoalie
05-03-2014, 11:24 PM
I don't want to just keep it I want to grow them. I had 1 orange florida ricordea for 1 yr and it's still 1 head not growing at all. My leather frag is also not growing. The only thing growing in my tank is zoas. My 1 head rasta (down from 3) just grew 2 new heads in like 1 month. I don't know if this is good growth rate or not.

I had a orange florida ricordea that I got a new mouth every 2 weeks and my rastas and sunny D zoos get 3-4 new heads per week.

milou
05-04-2014, 01:41 AM
how funny now that you mention about Sunny D, mine never grows. It's still a 2 head polyps for more than 8 months I think. I think I need to break the frag and glue them on a plug. The 2 heads are sitting on the edge of a small rock and sometimes the fish knock them over etc. I saw your tank build journal. You got some serious setup there.

gregzz4
05-04-2014, 01:44 AM
Could be the Sunny D's you have are 'duds' :smile:

Come by sometime Mike and take some of mine home. They are growing like weeds

milou
05-04-2014, 01:46 AM
hey gregg, this is dj not mike, i bought your phosban reactor

Skimmer Juice
05-04-2014, 01:52 AM
have you tried feeding them? I bought 2 different space monster frags , 1 I feed a couple times a week with the fauna marin food. The ones I feed are much bigger and grow faster . The one I dont feed is about half the size and grows about half the speed. Placement could have a lot to do with it . Try moving them around some will do better than others in certain spots. And yes if they keep getting knocked over and you find them flipped over that could slow things down.

milou
05-04-2014, 01:55 AM
thanks for all the feedback with the zoos and how about yuma ricordea, anyone?

Tn23
05-04-2014, 02:26 AM
Dj they are pretty much the same car as Florida Rics. However overall in general yumas grow slower. Maybe that's why you haven't noticed any growth? My rics would split new mouths 3-5x before I even notice a new mouth on my ric.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

don.ald
05-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I went through a Yuma phase and watched my money melt away. I continued to collect them with only disappointment. Out of all the Yuma I invested in only two survived. These two continue to grow and spread and I don't know if I could get rid of them now if I wanted to. Hit and miss I guess.

Coral Hoarder
05-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I used to have 4 I bought one more that turned out to have an infection and it melted I think this is part of why there death is so high also I find sucsess with them is like hairy mushrooms don't move it around !

It sucks to loose something you got for 50or100$ but think down in Australia there paying 200-900 plus for Yuma's right now at auction