PDA

View Full Version : The tank/tang debate

christyf5
09-24-2002, 01:16 PM
Well I must say I am very disappointed that the tank size for tangs debate was closed. I was actually learning something. And I was impressed with what everyone had to say. That was one of the most interesting things on here since the old overdriven lighting debate.

Anyway, just my two cents

Christy smile.gif

Delphinus
09-24-2002, 02:27 PM
Christy, thanks for your comments.

There was some fantastic information in there. I'm awestruck by the knowledge base we have on this board.

But, may I suggest, just because a specific thread is closed, all it means is, that one specific thread has had its day (for whatever reasons). Sooo ... if you have any questions lingering regarding a certain topic ... please by all means, ask away. (Unless it's a pointed or loaded question, directed at an individual personally. ... all we ask, is, please be nice, we're Canadians after all, eh?? ;) :D :cool: )

Let me share one little happy lesson I've learned recently regarding my tang. Thanks to a heads-up from EmilyB about a nori feeding thread on RC, I got a tip about feeding nori that has been the absolute panacea for me. Previously, my attempts to feed nori would always end up messy, since I have a single yellow tang sharing a tank with two percs and some cleaner shrimp. Not very many tank inhabitants overall to gobble up the little bits that would fly off when the tang was eating the nori, so they would eventually collect in my overflow and gum it all up.

Now I take my cigar-rolled nori and clip it to my feeding clip laterally, held in place by an elastic criss-crossed four times to my clip. My nori lasts easily twice as long this way! And my tang is able to eat almost all of it (instead of half of it floating away, or being leftover in the pinched part of the clip). I go through less nori and more of it ends up in my tang. Happy happy!! :D

BTW Deb, Half-Pint-O-Tang is now not so "Half Pintish" anymore, more like "Three-Quarter-Pint-O-Tang" now. :D With this new nori feeding technique (it took him a while to warm up to it) I expect him to be a full pint in short order. smile.gif

I better go now, hurricane's a coming, y'awl hear?? (I am in Houston for the next two weeks ... I'm a-working on mah drawl... :D )

[ 24 September 2002, 10:44: Message edited by: delphinus ]

EmilyB
09-24-2002, 06:03 PM
That's great Tony. :D

I picked the PVC tube one to try since I have my hands in the tanks all the time and want to cut back somewhat due to a rash I'm getting. With that one, you drill a hole in a piece of PVC pipe, tie with something (I picked soft airline hose - they said fishing line I think, but I thought that might be a bit risky for the fish) a length to the hole in the clip, attaching clip to outside of tank. Slick. Take it to the sink to clean and replace however....removing those elastics I had nori scraps in my hair, on my glasses, on my shirt....

At least that's what my hairdresser said....... :D

christyf5
09-24-2002, 06:40 PM
Hey guys,
Well ya know it wasn't really specific information I was looking for nor do I really have any specific questions (at least none that I can think of at the moment). It was sort of all the bonus information that I got out of it. Like the fact that stray voltage can look like HLLE or cause it or whatever. I didn't know that. Plus sometimes its just nice hearing how intelligent and well worded some of the people on this board can be. There aren't really alot of posts that inspire a 3 paragraph reply about something or other. Most posts are short and sweet and basically designed for whoever asked the question. I really liked this thread because while you guys were discussing the topic I was learning all sorts of new information. Information I wouldn't have gotten because I didn't know the right questions to ask.

Christy smile.gif

BTW, I just learned the cigar rolling nori trick too from Kris. Thank god for chat! ;)

naesco
09-24-2002, 10:04 PM
I too am sorry to see the tang thread closed.
I am ready willing and able to help anyone who has questions on this fantastic fish.

I will continue to add my comments if I feel it will add to the optimum care of tangs.

I am looking forward to advice from reefers when I set up my new tank.

StirCrazy
09-25-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by delphinus:
Now I take my cigar-rolled nori and clip it to my feeding clip laterally, held in place by an elastic criss-crossed four times to my clip. My nori lasts easily twice as long this way! And my tang is able to eat almost all of it (instead of half of it floating away, or being leftover in the pinched part of the clip). I go through less nori and more of it ends up in my tang. Happy happy!! :D
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">you wouldent have a pic of what this looks like befor you put it in the tank would you?

Steve

BCReefer
09-25-2002, 04:43 AM
The 1st 30 times I read about Tangs I found the information very interesting and informative. Now as Stephan indicated they usually turn into a joke where a few people who have a different opinion on what/how to do it are against everyone else. They start off with gentle barter but before you know it turns out to be down right nasty.

It is amazing that we criticize people from other countries/religion/race who turn to violence to get their way. We tell them that in the Western world we are civilized and we can have discussions where we can agree to disagree. To bad we don’t always practice what we preach.

Patrick