This are the livestock I have:

Pistol Shrimp

2x peppermint shrimp

2x cleaner shrimp

3 clowns

1 Urchin

Anemones

Some Hermits

I don't know who's been eating them, or maybe they are falling off and gets buried in the sand. I'm not sure what's going on, I haven't caught anyone munching on the zoas. I do feed these guys twice a day.

FishingGoalie
05-01-2014, 04:32 PM
This are the livestock I have:

Pistol Shrimp

2x peppermint shrimp

2x cleaner shrimp

3 clowns

1 Urchin

Anemones

Some Hermits

I don't know who's been eating them, or maybe they are falling off and gets buried in the sand. I'm not sure what's going on, I haven't caught anyone munching on the zoas. I do feed these guys twice a day.

The urchin is probably doing it or you have some sort of nudi

Slyguy00
05-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Yea agreed, your urchin could be moving them around and dropping them. Iv also had amphipods eat my zoas before. Lost several colonies before I knew what was going on. Use a flashlight to look in your tank when the lights are off. If it is amphipods they will be eating them at night.

04V10
05-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Yea agreed, your urchin could be moving them around and dropping them. Iv also had amphipods eat my zoas before. Lost several colonies before I knew what was going on. Use a flashlight to look in your tank when the lights are off. If it is amphipods they will be eating them at night.

Amphopods did it to me as well.

jay2x
05-01-2014, 05:28 PM

How do I get rid of them? XD I guess sea urchin will be for sale :lol:

Slyguy00
05-01-2014, 05:34 PM
If it is amphipods, really the best solution I found was to add a corris wrasse and a melanarus wrasse. They cleared out my bugs in a week.

denny_C
05-01-2014, 06:09 PM
i wouldnt rule the peppermint shrimp out , they are notorious for eating zoos so they would be my top culprit.

most urchins in the hobby are algae grazers , they do more harm with the spines and mowing stuff down then any actual eating of things that arnt macro algaes.

cheers

denny

Slyguy00
05-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I wasnt suggesting the urchin was eating the zoas but running over them and then becoming stuck to it until they fall off somewhere else as this had happened to me many times. Its possible it could be the peppermint because mine used to have a real appetite for red acans. Needless to say hes gone now. If you wonna know forsure wait till the lights go out and take a look. You would be amazed at what you find

Magickiwi
05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a six-line wrasse and he keeps my tank pretty clean of bugs. He will eat flatworms when he sees them too.

jason604
05-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Yup my urchin somehow ripped up a whole zoa colony off a rock n stuck it to its body. I threw him I. The sump n he destroyed my chaeto. Back to the LFS it went.

RuGlu6
05-02-2014, 12:31 AM
Check your Strontium levels. If strontium is low your zoas will melt away quickly

monocus
05-04-2014, 04:41 AM
I have a walking feather duster and zoas in my tank. my crown urchin picked up bunch of things

duncangweller
05-04-2014, 01:22 PM
I caught a couple of pods chowing down on my single head of blue agave the other night. I don't know if the little fella will recover from it but fingers crossed. They don't seem to bother the colonies though, just the single/double polyp frags.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

harlequin01
05-04-2014, 04:31 PM
I love zoas, want to start a zoa garden

Slyguy00
05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
I caught a couple of pods chowing down on my single head of blue agave the other night. I don't know if the little fella will recover from it but fingers crossed. They don't seem to bother the colonies though, just the single/double polyp frags.

They will get to the colonies eventually. The bigger they get the more damage they will do. It started with the single polyps and eventually they started killing colonies in my tank. I would suggest tryin to deal with it sooner than later.

duncangweller
05-04-2014, 05:34 PM
I have a melanarus wrasse in there. He's a solid hunter. That's the first time I've even seen any pods in a while