PDA

View Full Version : Backfromthedead Sailfin Blenny

AJ_77
08-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Was mucking about in the new tank today, and saw my 3" sailfin blenny on the carpet against the baseboard. Wasn't totally dry, but fairly stiff and blank-looking (grey eyes, etc)... :frown:

Chucked him in a bucket of water from last night's moving, and then told him off - stupid fish, dying on me... :mad:

Kept looking at him in that big bucket all dead like that... then he twitched. :eek: Scooped him into a container, changed half new tank water, watched him... He started breathing, twitching some more, moving a bit... Kinda freaky, but he was coming back.

After half-hour or so of re-acclimating, I slid his carcasse back into the tank. He's lying behind a small rock just breathing for the last couple of hours. Part of the very fringe of his dorsal fin seems to have been lost, almost dissolved - yuck.

Odds for survival?? Anything I can do for him??

Thanks,

UnderWorldAquatics
08-09-2004, 11:05 PM
many blenneis will dry right up in tide pools and then "come back" as it were.....

It is fairly common for them to dry up on carpet too....

Delphinus
08-09-2004, 11:14 PM
I once read a story about how a clown loach once survived after being carpet jerky.

Not a fair comparison, freshwater fish to saltwater fish, but, I thought it might help to cheer you up -- sometimes they can survive -- there's a precedent.

So, good luck with your guy. I'm hoping for him.

PS. Found it -- http://aquaweb.pair.com/FISH_STORIES/frankenfish.shtml

AJ_77
08-10-2004, 12:09 AM
Nope - worm food.

:evil:

LostMind
08-10-2004, 12:43 AM
That sux man!

Delphinus
08-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Sorry for your loss. :cry:

trilinearmipmap
08-10-2004, 04:12 AM
Are blennies very prone to jumping compared to other fish?