PDA

View Full Version : Silica Sand

tstevens
08-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi there,

I know this topic has been covered quite extensively but here goes:

Has anyone ever used Silica sand used in Pool Sand filters or Sand blasting for a DSB? I have looked at the granuals and they are definitely NOT sugar sized, more like candy sprinkle sized if that makes sense. Also the edges are definitely not rounded but suqared off and sharp.

Is this safe to use or will it definitely injure sand sifting critters like starfish, blennies, etc?

Can it be combined with some regular sugar sized aragonite to give it a better mix?

Is anyone here using this in any cpacity?

Thanks in advance!

Troy

Aquattro
08-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Troy, people have used it successfully, although the appearance, to me, isn't as nice as calcerous sand. Unless you're filling a very large tank, I would spend the extra for the real deal. I think you'll be glad you did down the road. Others will disagree I'm sure, but the cost of a couple of bags of sand is nothing in this hobby.

Delphinus
08-09-2004, 10:37 PM
I think they work but like Brad said I think you're better off just going with aragonite in the long haul. The rough edges will do things like scratch glass, and supposedly it is harder on the sandbed infauna. One of my tanks I had bought used and the guy before me had a silica sand bed about 5" or so and sure enough the bottom 5" of my tank are pretty much opaque due to the scratches being so bad.

ruck'n'reefer
08-10-2004, 03:06 AM
I have had silica as my sandbed for over three years!! No problems! I would only use it in a deep sand bed. 6" min. I did it to cheap out. To do it again I probably wouldn't go with the deep sand bed or the silica. Too long of response to explain... Hope that is of smoe help.

snaggle
08-10-2004, 03:07 AM
I would only use it as a botem layer or in a sump / fuge. I like crushed coral better for the calcium benifit

tstevens
08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm trying to find a way to cheap out without effecting the quality of the water and life for the critters. I was reading up on the Southdown sand and bomix up here and it seems to be a healthy alternative. Is it considered Silica or calcium based? I can slip accross the border to Watertown, NY and snag a couple 50lb bags for 7$ each!

Your opinions?

Aquattro
08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
If you can get southdown, go for it. Don't know about the other stuff...

Chin_Lee
08-10-2004, 03:23 PM
do a search on bromix on rc. somebody did a test on it with vinegar and if fizzled like the stuff you buy from fish store. Some people have used it without any problems and it seems like a good alternative. I looked into getting some shipped out from montreal (thats where they are located) but it would be too much for what I wanted. if you have it locally, give it a try

StirCrazy
08-11-2004, 12:26 AM
do a search on bromix on rc. somebody did a test on it with vinegar and if fizzled like the stuff you buy from fish store.

this is the most full of BS test for sand there is going. when you think about it all it is telling you is that the media is desolved by a week acid. what does this tell us....? nothing, only that if there are any nastie minerals traped in the sand it will be released into our tanks. personaly if I was going on the unknowen I would prefer somthing that doesent react at all.. then I will be sure it will not release any poisens into my tank.

Steve