PDA

View Full Version : Removing GSP from Live Rock

Coralgurl
04-28-2014, 06:49 PM
I did search to see if a thread like this has been started, couldn't see anything, but if there is, please feel free to link up.

Anyway, my GSP has been growing nicely on the back wall of my tank, but its also spreading onto other rocks and I'd like to keep it isolated somewhat. I tried pulling it off but that was really ineffective. How do you get under the mat and remove it - the stuff is like in every nook and cranny of the rocks.

Thanks

Slyguy00
04-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Generally people don't let it get to the rocks for that exact reason. The stuff is next to impossible to scrape or peel off the rocks and grows like a weed. Your best bet is to take the individual rock out and kill it off that way. Iv also had success using aptasia x. Good luck

Delphinus
04-28-2014, 07:35 PM
Take a screwdriver or a coin or a credit card (or similar thin plastic thing) and wedge it under... Eventually you should find the magic spot where afterwards it will just peel off.

Coralgurl
04-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Generally people don't let it get to the rocks for that exact reason. The stuff is next to impossible to scrape or peel off the rocks and grows like a weed. Your best bet is to take the individual rock out and kill it off that way. Iv also had success using aptasia x. Good luck

Thanks. Its just really taken off in the last few months. I've had it in my tank for 2 years and it really hadn't moved so didn't give it much thought. Lately, I see growth daily.

Take a screwdriver or a coin or a credit card (or similar thin plastic thing) and wedge it under... Eventually you should find the magic spot where afterwards it will just peel off.

I'll give that a try and see if I can get it off. Otherwise I may just have to rescape my tank to keep the rocks isolated I guess.

JmeJReefer
04-28-2014, 08:47 PM
Smother it with reef epoxy, lightly so u can remove it...

Sent from my HTC Desire 601 using Tapatalk

mark
04-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Not a problem anymore but when was, controlled by lifting off with dental picks.

kien
04-29-2014, 03:32 AM

+1 This is my method of choice, after I've exhausted the other methods (scraping, peeling, etc).

Coralgurl
04-29-2014, 03:06 PM

+1 This is my method of choice, after I've exhausted the other methods (scraping, peeling, etc).

Where do you find this reef epoxy? Any LFS carry it? I tried peeling it off the other night and that was useless. I'd have to rip apart my aquascaping to get the LR out as its covering a couple of rocks - some of them quite large, so this may be the easiest.

Magickiwi
04-29-2014, 04:18 PM
I don't know how you guys do it. I got two good sized chunks from Coralgurl last year and now they are only slightly larger than when I got them.

Coralgurl
04-29-2014, 04:28 PM
I don't know how you guys do it. I got two good sized chunks from Coralgurl last year and now they are only slightly larger than when I got them.

Mine has just gone crazy in the last few months and growing like mad. My tank conditions haven't been stellar for a long time now, but I am working to change that. May be the GSP likes the conditions, so will be interesting to see if things change in the next while. If you want more, I'll definitely be able to give you some. Just be careful what you wish for.....:lol:

kien
04-29-2014, 04:33 PM
Where do you find this reef epoxy? Any LFS carry it? I tried peeling it off the other night and that was useless. I'd have to rip apart my aquascaping to get the LR out as its covering a couple of rocks - some of them quite large, so this may be the easiest.

Go to concepts and ask for some vertex epoxy. Tell them Keener sent you.. :lol:

Magickiwi
04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
Mine has just gone crazy in the last few months and growing like mad. My tank conditions haven't been stellar for a long time now, but I am working to change that. May be the GSP likes the conditions, so will be interesting to see if things change in the next while. If you want more, I'll definitely be able to give you some. Just be careful what you wish for.....:lol:

Haha, I'm striving for diversity now so I can find something that takes off in my tank. I have an unknown purple-polyp that came with my live rock, some blue-green polyps, a wavy blueish polyp, star polyps, and of course the GSP. So far none are exactly exploding, the star polyps held their ground pretty well but have lately started receding.