PDA

View Full Version : Update on Ich

Lofus
08-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Left for the weekend on Friday with the powder brown tang looking fully recovered from his bout with ich. When I checked the tank last night he was seriously re-infected and this morning he was dead.

Lessons learned

1) QT all fish before going into the main tank. The ich got in there somehow and all but the last fish was healthy in the QT for 4-6 weeks before being moved to the main tank.

2) at the first sign of deasease move the afflicted member to the QT.

The garlic helped the tang through the first infection cycle but the nect batch got him. To ensure a stress free environment, I'm going to do everything I can to provide a parasite free enviroment.

All the other fish are being moved to the QT for the next few months. What a PITA for having little patience up front.

AJ_77
08-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Really sorry to hear that.

hawk
08-10-2004, 12:12 AM
That's too bad,
Your "lesson's learned" is great advice to anyone who is fighting ick or more importantly to those who don't want to fight it in the first place.

Delphinus
08-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Ditto, very sorry to hear of your loss. :frown:

Bob I
08-10-2004, 03:37 AM
I feel your pain. I recently bought two True Perculas, and went through similar experiences. The weird thing with me is that when I went back to the store that sold them to me they had one left from the shipment. I bought that one, and threw him directly into the tank without quarantine. He is doing great today. :confused:

trilinearmipmap
08-10-2004, 04:10 AM
OK there is a great article on quarantine in the clownfish and anemone section of Reef Central. I have followed this quarantine procedure for the past couple of months with my clowns. Anyway I thought I was just being uptight about it, I guess not. Anyway it is unfortunate you had to experience this.

bulletsworld
08-10-2004, 11:03 PM
That's too bad,
Your "lesson's learned" is great advice to anyone who is fighting ick or more importantly to those who don't want to fight it in the first place.

Double Ditto!

:frown: Lofus, I was afraid that was going to happen. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss. I found out the hard way too about QT and it does suck but is a must. If you need any help with QT'ing the others, I will be more then happy to help out.

Sorry to hear about your loss again. *hug*

Lofus
08-11-2004, 02:46 AM
Well so far the QT is not the problem....its trying to convince the little suckers to leap into my net so that I can move them...

Anyone got a fish trap?

:mad:

EmilyB
08-11-2004, 04:56 AM
Get a critter keeper....you will use it muchly. :mrgreen: You can feed in there and trap pretty much anyone you want. :biggrin:

Lofus
08-11-2004, 05:41 AM
A critter keeper? What is it?

EmilyB
08-11-2004, 05:51 AM
You can get those at Pisces....plastic containers with ventilated lids.