PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs help

C&C
09-21-2002, 03:17 PM
I have two candalactis (spelled wrong I'm sure) anemones. I have had them for three months and the problem is they are slowly getting a brown tint to them. They are fed twice a week with a shrimp. Light cycle is 11 hours starting with my two actinic bulbs first and last for an hour. They seem otherwise happy, fully extended, stuck to my LR. Any ideas? I have xenia in my tank and it is growing like a weed, every time I cut it, it re-attaches in a couple days and grows like a weed. Thinking about trying to sell some to my LPS because they never have anything. I have also propagated red/blue mushrooms by cutting them into two and using a net to attach them to my LR, seems to work great. Does anybody know if hairy mushrooms can be split this way. I have heard of glueing mushrooms, what type of glue can be used? Tank has been set up for about 6 months.

Tank:
130 Gallon glass
4 X VHO flourescent
2 X NO actinic flourescent
4" DSB
130 LBS LR
4 X Maxi jet 1200
2 X 150 Watt heaters
Berlin turbo skimmer

Fish
Yellow tang
Blue tang (Hippo)
2X Percula clowns
100 or so blue hermit crabs and snails
Blue/red mushrooms
Xenia
hairy mushroom (Brown)
2X Candalactis Anemone
Green button polyps smile.gif

Water:
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.3
Calcium 380-400
Phosphate 0
ammonia/nitrite/nitrate 0
KH 8
Temp 79-80

Bob I
09-21-2002, 03:35 PM
I have some what I call Hairy Mushrooms (go to my site there is a picture) I kind of scrape them from the rock they are on, and let them float away. I always find them attached somewhere, and the area I scraped them from grows new mushrooms. :D

DJ88
09-21-2002, 05:10 PM
If your condylactis are turning brown it means they are healthy. the proper color is a dark brown with purple or pink tips. White or light coloration means that they have no zooxanthellae for photosynthesis and are therefore weak and require constant feeding.

hth

C&C
09-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Thanks, but they do look better clear. Maybe I should starve the little suckers:)

DJ88
09-21-2002, 08:41 PM
That is not even remotely funny.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Your chances for help or advice from me in the future just went down the tubes. Sarcasm or not.....

Keep up the good work.

[ 21 September 2002, 16:44: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Troy F
09-22-2002, 01:26 AM
Hey C&C, welcome to Canreef.

C&C
09-22-2002, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the info, my mushroom looks identical to yours. Nice web site. smile.gif

C&C
09-22-2002, 01:04 PM
DJ88, please accept my humblest appologies for my remark. I have spent 5000 dollars to set up my tank and more to air condition the room it is in, embarassingly enough all my fish have been named (me and my wife spend a fair deal of time debating suitable names for them) to think that I would intentionally harm anything in my tank is a misconception that I have obviously portrayed with my ill recieved attempt at humor.

Again my apologies to everybody on this board that I might have offended.

Chris.

StirCrazy
09-22-2002, 02:10 PM
I don't see how anyone could take that as anything but a joke with the little " smile.gif " behind it.. ( mind you for future refference to make the smily you have to leave a space after the words.. otherwise it looks like this:) instead of this smile.gif )
so I woulden't wory to much about offending anyone..

Steve

[ 22 September 2002, 10:11: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

AJ_77
09-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Again my apologies to everybody on this board that I might have offended.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It's a problem with this medium - while you likely have the highest concern for what you're keeping, it takes a while before people form an opinion of what level of "conscientious aquarist" you are. The more principled among us are sometimes the more touchy as well. ;) :D smile.gif :D ;)

Note all the smilies: tongue.gif

Cheers, and welcome, you'll find much company for your sincere and serious approach to a great hobby.

Alan

titus
09-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Hello C&C,

Welcome. Haha I got your joke. Don't worry about it.

And hey, welcome to another CF mbr! smile.gif

Titus

Skimmerking
09-22-2002, 10:31 PM
I got the joke and i'm from NB too.

OROMOCTO . tongue.gif Maybe you should try feeding more like 4 5 times aday. I awas feeding my sebae 4 times aday easily. JMO

SuperFudge
09-24-2002, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the board C&C, :D

I would think that your lighting is on the low side for them to maintain their lighter colour.

They are definatly trying to boost their Zooxanthellea count,to get what they can out of your light.

Food helps,but i dont believe that will help much at all with the color situation.

On a good note,the addition of a metal halide bulb would go along way in getting them back to the way they were.

SuperFudge
09-24-2002, 09:47 PM
Oh Ya,

Mushrooms can be cut anyway you wish,and they will likely re-grow from the smallest of peices.

If you do cut them,try not to cut across the mouth of the disk at all,it makes for slower regeneration.

They dont like glue at all,(same for most softies).
The way that has been most sucsessful for me,is to place them in a shallow tray,with small rocks on the bottom,in a lower level current.
Simply sprinkle the cuttings on.
Wait about 12-14 days for most to attach,these smaller rocks can then be glued to larger rocks with other mushrooms. :D

HTH,