PDA

View Full Version : Possible anemone crab host

Fish
08-09-2004, 04:04 AM
I asked the question a while back whether an anemone crab will host in green star polyp coral instead (for those of us who don't wish to keep anemones). Well, thanks to Jojoseb's generous donation of his crab "Radar", I am able to answer that...
yes, yes they will.

This little guy has never left the gsp since the day I put him in the tank. I got this particular gsp from Canadian Man and think it is the perfect host; and it is so hardy, I'm not worried about the crab harming it.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1185anemonecrab-med.jpg?2595

Cheers,

- Chad

Aquattro
08-09-2004, 05:04 AM
That's great to hear. I had one of those crabs once, and it just hung out wherever. Sometimes in my hammer coral, an sometimes just on the rocks.

AJ_77
08-09-2004, 05:34 AM
what a GREAT photo.

kris_willard
08-09-2004, 07:01 AM
what a GREAT photo.
AGREED!!! Very cooool thanks for the info.

Cap'n
08-09-2004, 07:05 AM
I agree, fantastic photo!

And good news for me, also one of those without an anenome but a love for these graceful crabs. I will be getting one for my Canadian grown GSP's as well.

How about clowns? Any chance they would accept a large colony of GSP's as a host?

whaase
08-09-2004, 12:29 PM

And good news for me, also one of those without an anenome but a love for these graceful crabs. I will be getting one for my Canadian grown GSP's as well.

How about clowns? Any chance they would accept a large colony of GSP's as a host?

I believe Canadian Man has a True perc that makes it's home in his GSP's.

Walter

Canadian Man
08-09-2004, 02:26 PM

Walter

YOU BET! Very neat to watch.

Fish
08-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys. Sorry the picture is so blue, I took it last night when only the actinics were on. May try and snag another during the day.

Great idea about the clowns too. I think that providing long-term care for an anemone will take more skill than I have right now; I've also read recently that clowns will damage an LPS host over time. In that case, gsp is an awsome alternative! Thanks.

- Chad

Cap'n
08-30-2004, 07:28 AM

Walter

YOU BET! Very neat to watch.

I want to get a pair of tank-raised clowns to settle in my GSP's. I was planning on false percs because they are commonly described as the least aggressive of the clowns. Do you think I would have the success you did with the true percs?