PDA

View Full Version : RSM 250 Upgrades

morecowbell
04-25-2014, 03:30 PM
Note to admins - not sure if this is the best place for this post?

I want to do some tank upgrades to my RSM 250, but not necessarily DIY? or is it?

#1 - I want to add some rock rubble to the back for more bio filtration. Should I use the media rack? or can I place a bag in the rear right chamber? I'm not sure if that power head is strong enough to keep the flow well through rock so I might need to upgrade. Is there something better than rock that I could use? Right now I'm using the stock items and chemi-pure.

#2 - I want to add an ATO. Is there an easy, dummy proof way about doing this? When it involves plumbing of any sort I scare myself into thinking I'm going to somehow burn the house down.

Thanks for your help!

ashr
04-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Which model of the RSM250 are you using? I have some easy simple mods that may help you :)

morecowbell
04-25-2014, 06:00 PM
It's not the new C series if that's what you're asking. I bought it in 2011, but it was a floor model, so there's a chance it could have been a bit older.

morecowbell
04-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Also by floor model I mean the stand was built and it was sitting on the showroom floor at Big Al's. Not filled and everything else was brand new in the box.

ashr
04-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Alright so here are some mods you may like.

Skimmer mod:
The hose line from the skimmer pump to the skimmer cup
As the little nozzle on the cup is a pain in the ass to adjust I just cut the hose near the lid and added a air control valve Air Valve (http://new.zooportal.bg/images/stories/2007112163924246.jpg). Open up the nozzle on the cup all the way and use the new air valve to adjust the air. Easy.

Right side pump
I had upgraded the right side to the same as the left side. So more GPH.
I also added a thin LED light behide all my plug on the side and added cheato under the pump. So I use that side as a small refug with the LED light.

You can add rubble under the left pump if you like or the right side :)

I also sent you a PM

msjboy
04-25-2014, 07:25 PM
Check reefsanctuary.com... They have a dedicated thread for Red Sea sea tanks. Stevet of mediabasket.com has some upgrade stuff too. If you want to go nuts and add a sump, reactors, etc, the bottom of the tank can be drilled as with the rsm130 which some people have done...gets rid of an external overflow . One may need to get rid of the existing stand or redo it to accommodate a large sump that will make setup very heavy and humid.

ashr
04-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Check reefsanctuary.com... They have a dedicated thread for Red Sea sea tanks. Stevet of mediabasket.com has some upgrade stuff too. If you want to go nuts and add a sump, reactors, etc, the bottom of the tank can be drilled as with the rsm130 which some people have done...gets rid of an external overflow . One may need to get rid of the existing stand or redo it to accommodate a large sump that will make setup very heavy and humid.

I've spent many an hour over there haha

Cankers
06-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Note to admins - not sure if this is the best place for this post?

I want to do some tank upgrades to my RSM 250, but not necessarily DIY? or is it?

#1 - I want to add some rock rubble to the back for more bio filtration. Should I use the media rack? or can I place a bag in the rear right chamber? I'm not sure if that power head is strong enough to keep the flow well through rock so I might need to upgrade. Is there something better than rock that I could use? Right now I'm using the stock items and chemi-pure.

#2 - I want to add an ATO. Is there an easy, dummy proof way about doing this? When it involves plumbing of any sort I scare myself into thinking I'm going to somehow burn the house down.

Thanks for your help!

I installed a tunze 5017 in the right chamber. It was so easy!! put it in through the slot made for the chiller. I would recommend this as the first thing everyone should do with the RSM 250.

I'm also in the middle of setting up my doser pump and contemplating installing LEDs instead of the T5 fixture but doing a lot of reading before I pull the trigger on that one.