PDA

View Full Version : Melanurus wrasse question.

dcw1sfu
04-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Hey looking at adding a melanurus wrasse to my mixed reef. I called Jl and they said they had one., but after said it was a yellow lined wrasse. Is that the same thing? On their wrasse fish list they have yellow lined wrasse as not Reef compatible but I though melanurus wrasse were. Supposed to go there in a couple hours if anyone could enlighten me.

dcw1sfu
04-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Damn wrong forum if someone could pleased move.

FishingGoalie
04-23-2014, 11:52 PM
Go on to live aquaria it tells you all the different names and what to watch out for

dcw1sfu
04-23-2014, 11:56 PM
Yeh I did see on there earlier that it can go by that name. But what concerns me is JL lists it as not Reef compatible. Other places list it as either compatible, or Reef with caution. What are your guys thoughts on this fish.

duncangweller
04-23-2014, 11:58 PM
I have a melanarus wrasse and he's my favorite fish. He's forever hunting for pods and critters. He's also the boss of the tank. A great fish, funny to watch him bury himself at night too.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

FishingGoalie
04-23-2014, 11:59 PM
If you read through the description of the fish it will tell you everything that it may possibly eat. If it says they eat feather dusters then its not reef safe. I wouldn't go off if it says reef safe or not reef safe. Go off the description. Ive never heard of a person having problems with them so i wouldn't be too worried. Another fish thats almost identical to the melanarus wrasse is the mystery wrasse. They are even less likely to eat stuff that you wouldn't want them to eat.

dcw1sfu
04-24-2014, 12:07 AM
Great thanks guys not worried about feather dusters just hope it leaves my shrimp alone. And hope my sand bed is deep enough at 2".

FishingGoalie
04-24-2014, 12:12 AM
ornamental shrimp like sexy shrimp and live mysid thats on your live rock

dcw1sfu
04-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Yeh only have a large skunk, a tiger pistol and two Peppermint.

Slyguy00
04-24-2014, 12:30 AM
I have a melanarus wrasse and he's my favorite fish. He's forever hunting for pods and critters. He's also the boss of the tank. A great fish, funny to watch him bury himself at night too.

+1

dcw1sfu
04-24-2014, 05:07 AM
Thanks again for your help guys picked up this fish this evening from JL and it looked great. I acclimated it and as soon as it hit the tank bottom it flipped the sand back and forth and was gone. If im lucky he will be out swimming around tommorow but we will see.

duncangweller
04-24-2014, 05:08 AM
They are great fish. Don't be worries if you don't see him for a little while. I've had wrasses disappear in the sand for days.