PDA

View Full Version : Maxima Clam Question

FishingGoalie
04-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Hi I have a maxima clam and i was wondering if it can go on rocks? or does have to be in the sand?

Aquattro
04-22-2014, 11:13 PM
I've seen them on rock work, but anytime I tried, they always jumped off.

FishingGoalie
04-22-2014, 11:28 PM
There in the sand for now but i may move them later :)

kien
04-22-2014, 11:51 PM
In the wild i've only ever seen these clams in/on rocks. I'm no clam expert, but I assumed that they actually prefer to be on rocks where they can get a good strong foot hold and possibly even burrow into the rock over time?

freeze
04-22-2014, 11:55 PM
They like being on rocks but are usually in crevasses and such.
To make mine movable without messing around with their foot all the time, I got a piece of flat rock that has a dip/pocket in the center and put that on the sand. Once they attach you can move them around.

You can also take a dremel to some rock and create a pocket.

FishingGoalie
04-23-2014, 12:06 AM
I took a small piece of broken shelf and put him on that I need to find a place that i like him on the rock. How long does it take for there foot to attach?

Thanks for the help

freeze
04-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Some will start attaching within hours....at least with mine and some days until they get comfy. One of mine wasn't comfy on one of my rocks and let go with his foot. And jumped, was just above the sand so more just tipped over but had to readjust him. Now he's happy.

pinkreef
05-29-2014, 03:18 PM
I have had my clam for a little over a month. I put it on the sand first and it wasnt opening up fully but was responsive. The mantle just went over the edge of the shell by 1/2 inch at most. I asked at Safari why mine wasnt opening and he said put it up higher. i have tried that for a couple of weeks and no change so i put him back on the sand because i worried my tang would knock him down. i have 14000k mh lights that are now about 30 inches from him. why doesnt mine open up? barb

TimT
05-29-2014, 05:36 PM
Hi Barb,

The maxima clams live on the rocks and need a lot of light. The ones I have seen while diving were always shallow, less than 15 feet.

I would move the clam up higher in your tank. Make sure it is not in an area of high current. The mantle should not be moving in the current.

4"+ Clams can attach to the bottom of the aquarium, even through 3" of sand/gravel so make sure that it is not attached before you try and move it.

Cheers,
Tim

pinkreef
05-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Ok, thanks. do you know if colour temp of the lighting is important.
i use 14000k is that what they prefer?

FishingGoalie
05-30-2014, 12:12 AM
It depends on your light to me just telling us its 14000k doesnt tell much. I have mine under a ATI Hybrid Powermodule which is at 50% after 3 months of me raising it up slowly because above 70 it almost instantly bleaches everything. All 3 of mine are on the sand 2 Ultra Maximas and 1 Teardrop. For my very small clams i put them on small pieces of shelf rock i have laying around. Also what are your parameters. Clams need a very stable tank with not much changing, and high calcium. Mine is at 450. I find the two most important params to be Alk and Calc so be sure to check those. Also make sure nothing is picking at them even if there picking at the mantle it may bother them.

Another thing I've learned recently is people clams Hinges are coming apart check that as well people have used simple solutions like velcro for that.

It would also help to know how it was when you first got them.

Hope this helps.

pinkreef
05-30-2014, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the reply, my lights are metal halide 250 watt 14000k x2. Also two actinic 92 watts each I think. I run the mh lights for ten hours per day I have tested my calcium and it's at 410 but I am gradually increasing the dose The clam is about five inches by three inches (a chubby one) blue in colour. Hope that helps. Barb

FishingGoalie
05-30-2014, 05:37 AM
Hmm definitely enough light. how deep is your tank. How old are your bulbs? What are all the other perms? Maybe someone with a bit ore experience could chime in.

Aquattro
05-30-2014, 05:43 AM
Barb, your light is fine, even on the sand. My clam has been under MH, LED and T5, all while on the bottom of the tank. Ca needs to be above 380ish, no need to go higher than your 410.
If the mantle isn't expanding, inspect it at night with a flashlight, looking for small snails around the edge. Almost like small grains of rice.
If you can get a good quality top down pic, that might show something. Maybe pinched mantle, which can be treated by soaking it in fresh water for a while.

As mentioned, make sure you don't move it if it feels attached. That will likely kill it.

pinkreef
05-30-2014, 04:22 PM
I checked for param snails a couple of times now and havent seen any. it does react whenever a fish swims over it ( all day ) it may tire it out. my lights are old so i will get new bulbs. if i could keep it a few inches off the ground the ss goby wont spit sand on it anymore. my phosphates are high right now since i moved my tank a few months ago. im using seachem to bring it down. thanks for the help

pinkreef
05-31-2014, 03:11 AM
Got a new light bulb today. what a difference a few years makes