PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting

mutabaruka
04-22-2014, 12:46 AM
I have been running my IM 16 gallon for about 2.5 months now. Things are going really well so far, a bit diatom outbreak that is going away now. I have some zoas, some mushrooms, a peppermint shrimp and a black occelaris. The lighting is just the two 8W tablets that come with the tank, so I am thinking about upgrading some. I'd like a little more blue colour than they provided, they have the blue LED's but in order to operate the blue lights I have to plug in two more adapters, that makes a total of four outlets for 16W of lighting.

I'm looking at a couple of options; adding a full-spectrum light like a PAR 38, or adding a bluer spectrum pendant like the Kessil 150 or a whole new setup like the Orbit Marine tablet, which would also give me some control and ramping.

I am planning to remain with this type of tank for the foreseeable future, except maybe adding a gorgonian which is not such a light concern as much as a flow concern.

I would like to learn from your experiences if you would consider sharing with me.

Thanks very much!

BuschWacker
04-22-2014, 01:32 AM
I've got the nuvo 8. I upgraded to an AI nano. I barely run it at 50%. I've got everything in my tank, from zoas to sps. It works great. Lots of used sols in the for sale section lately. I would look into one of those. They would have a better spread for your wider tank.

mutabaruka
04-22-2014, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the input. I was looking at those, they were just a bit more money than I was planning on spending. I might have to hold off and save a few more bucks.