PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Paint ?

Captainhemo
08-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi

Does anyone know of a chain sotroe in Canadaa(Home, Rona, Canaidan Tire etc) where I can find some epoxy based white paint, preferably in a gloss. I thought Home Depot would have had it but I went there and they said no. I am building a new hood and wanted to paint the interiior all white, on many of the DIY projects they say to use an epoxy based paint. Any other duggestions that will work equally as well ?

Thanks
captainhemo

Azilla
08-08-2004, 07:33 PM
i went to the local paint store they wanted $100 a G :cry:

Captainhemo
08-08-2004, 08:06 PM
EEEEK , dont tell me that !! So what did you end up using ? Can I use just about any white pint as long as I seal with a clear urathane or something afterwards ? There must be a simpte way of doing this

captainhemo

Quagmire
08-08-2004, 08:55 PM
I would try a marine(boat)shop.

Azilla
08-08-2004, 09:04 PM
o sorry i didnt read your hole post... For my hood i used a Marine primer and gloss marine paint. that was cheap. hehe sorry man but u dont need epoxy for that. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Captainhemo
08-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Hmm m, isnt marine paint usually very toxic stuff ? Did youseal the paint with anything after ? I know the paint isnt going tobe in the water but the toxicity still worries me , guess most paints are probably like that .......

Azilla
08-08-2004, 10:25 PM
cant be that toxic i mean u use it it water source's

Quagmire
08-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Ive never used it,I was just giving you an option where to look for the paint you want.I'm fairly sure they would have epoxy based paint.

bear27
08-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Isn't epoxy paint used for painting the inside of plywood aquariums

StirCrazy
08-09-2004, 01:21 AM
Isn't epoxy paint used for painting the inside of plywood aquariums

that is a 2 part food safe epoxy.

for the inside of a hood I would use a marine enamal based paint. this is what I used for my stand and for the back glass of my tank.

Steve

Old Guy
08-09-2004, 02:29 PM
I used Varathane indoor/outdoor gloss white. Self priming and recommended for marine applications. One hood has been about 5 years, the other around three. No problems yet.

Jeff

Captainhemo
08-18-2004, 08:59 AM
Actually that is what I ended up going with (Varathane ). It pretty much dries to a durable plastic coating. It's also inexpensive when compared to the price of some of the epoxy / specialty paints
Glad to hear it 's ben used by others and worked out well

captainhemo