PDA

View Full Version : how much simpler can FOWLR be?

lastlight
04-21-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm considering a tank for larger fish because I really miss them. I'll only proceed if it's considerably cheaper and easier to run than a reef tank.

My plan was to simply make sure I have a really good skimmer and run bio-pellets to keep nitrates in check. No dosing, no gfo, maybe change 10% of my water each month or even every two. Just enough light to see my fish.

Is that scenario possible? It's the water change aspect that will make or break this plan. If I run the pellets could I get away with minimal water changes?

FishingGoalie
04-21-2014, 08:28 PM
So the plan is coming together. I can't see it being very difficult and when you go to a store a see a cool coral you can't get it because you have a FOWLR that right there is a money saver :)

matt_C
04-21-2014, 08:46 PM
As far as water quality you are on the right track.
Lots of other things to think about is how much you feed.
How many fish.
The biggest of all is oxygen.
I would also run Carbon every once in a while so you water does not turn yellow.
Trust me on that one!

lastlight
04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Thx Matt I was actually going to come in and pick your brain about it. Carbon doesn't count as it's cheap. It's salt and gfo that worry me.

matt_C
04-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Thx Matt I was actually going to come in and pick your brain about it. Carbon doesn't count as it's cheap. It's salt and gfo that worry me.

come talk any time.
as far as salt goes.
Use coralife best bang for your buck
there are lots of different option as far as alternatives to gfo

Reef Pilot
04-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Not sure if you really need a bio pellet reactor in a FOWLR. Before I got my upstairs tank all cleaned up (was a 10+ year running tank), nitrates were as high as 100 ppm, and almost never below 30. Fish didn't seem to mind, and even had a bunch of softies and some LPS that did fine as well.

If you have a good skimmer, socks (or big sponge like I do now), change larger amounts of water (20%+), and have good flow, I would think that should be good. And no dosing, or GFO, etc,... just lots of live rock.

lastlight
04-21-2014, 10:22 PM
If you guys are saying higher levels of phosphates and nitrates are ok for fish why would I need to do larger water changes?

I will have a ton of rock.

Reef Pilot
04-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Well, water changes will help lower them, and since you won't be using GFO or bio pellets. Not saying you should do more often, just larger amounts. Just trying to keep it simple...

lastlight
04-21-2014, 10:50 PM
yes simple is good. but pellets would be far cheaper than water changes. just wondering if that practice will be ok?

Reef Pilot
04-21-2014, 11:09 PM
I have 2 tanks, one upstairs with my SPS corals, and a downstairs tank with just softies and LPS. I used to change my upstairs tank, and use the waste water to change my downstairs tank. I never did anything else to it, no dosing, GFO, bio pellets, or even running carbon. And all was good with it . Fish and corals were all happy. I would check the parameters occasionally but they weren't far out. And I just used Instant Ocean (still do).

So am not sure if you have another "designer corals" tank, but if you do, you could do the same. Then you can change the water at the same time and amount as you do with your fancy coral tank, but no additional salt costs.

I can't do this now, though, as I only use one sump for both tanks, because I only have 1 chiller, which is needed for the summer. Next fall, though, I might go back to separate sumps and only using fresh SW in the upstairs tank.

matt_C
04-21-2014, 11:14 PM
I do small water changes.
25-50 gallons once a month if that.
In a system that's well over 1000 gallons
The other thing is if you let your levels get to high you'll have to clean the glass more often. lol

lastlight
04-21-2014, 11:15 PM
I used to change my upstairs tank, and use the waste water to change my downstairs tank.

I change 15 gallons a week out of my 93 cube. That is a great idea! The water from that tank is near zero nitrates and pretty low phosphates.

Love it.

lastlight
04-21-2014, 11:17 PM
The other thing is if you let your levels get to high you'll have to clean the glass more often. lol

you've seen my arms thought right matt? i've got serious pipes a little glass cleaning won't be an issue.

lastlight
04-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Sorry meant to say my arms are like pipettes not pipes.

Hopefully the quality water from the reef tank will help keep the glass clean longer.

jason604
04-21-2014, 11:21 PM
will running one of those hang on back filters like the fresh water ones work instead of a skimmer?

lastlight
04-21-2014, 11:24 PM
will running one of those hang on back filters like the fresh water ones work instead of a skimmer?

like a big aquaclear? i don't think so especially for a larger tank. those are good for some biological filtration but nothing next to a boatload of live rock. certainly not doing what a skimmer does (removes the organics from the water column completely).

reefermadness
04-22-2014, 12:51 AM
will running one of those hang on back filters like the fresh water ones work instead of a skimmer?Those are pretty useless on any saltwater tank. You could maybe use one to run carbon and/or some filter floss but there are better ways.