PDA

View Full Version : Owww my torch coral stung me!!!


Timbits
04-21-2014, 04:22 AM
I had a VERY tiny spot on my finger where the outer layer of skin was ripped off, not a deep cut or anything no blood. I don't know how but the tip of my torch manage to touch that spot perfectly and I felt a shock. I pulled my hand out of the water right away and continue feeling a stinging sensation. This was a few days ago now my finger is swollen and bruised when I touch that spot it feels bruised. I never got stung by corals before, is my finger going to be ok? I'm a little worried now... Thanks

jay2x
04-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Just to make sure pee on it XD

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Slyguy00
04-21-2014, 04:51 AM
Lol you will be fine. Give it time.

Myka
04-21-2014, 04:54 AM
Should be fine, but keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then go to the doctor. Bacteria can get into wounds and cause infection - it could be that's the problem and not the Torch sting at all.

neoh
04-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I got nabbed by my hammer once.. not cool.

Good luck!

Timbits
04-22-2014, 04:48 AM
Just to make sure pee on it XD

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Lol Zookeeper? :lol:

Timbits
04-22-2014, 04:49 AM
I got nabbed by my hammer once.. not cool.

Good luck!

Can u tell me what happened? Was your finger swollen? How long did it take to heal? Did u put any cream or anything thanks

Timbits
04-22-2014, 04:52 AM
Should be fine, but keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then go to the doctor. Bacteria can get into wounds and cause infection - it could be that's the problem and not the Torch sting at all.

It's not getting worst but its not getting better either. Still pretty swollen... Omg that's scary I'm pretty worried now :sad: I won't lose my finger right lol

strider
04-23-2014, 08:29 AM
I think it's time to go see the dr. Make sure u look up toxin info first.

Check out post #7
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=429388


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelis88
04-23-2014, 10:35 AM
oh **** Tim, medic team is on the way!!!(to take over your fish) :)

Myka
04-23-2014, 12:56 PM
It's not getting worst but its not getting better either. Still pretty swollen... Omg that's scary I'm pretty worried now :sad: I won't lose my finger right lol

If it's not better today I would be going to the doctor.

One thing I forgot to mention is it's a good idea to take an antihistamine because unusually strong reactions to stings are sometimes allergic reactions.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

Timbits
04-24-2014, 12:09 AM
I think it's time to go see the dr. Make sure u look up toxin info first.

Check out post #7
http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/showthread.php?t=429388


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay I'm going to see the doctor on Friday. I think it's getting worst now. Today it became very itchy, more stiff, and other parts of my body started hurting I don't know if that's related but I woke up and my left foot feels bruised and it was perfectly fine when I went to bed that was 2 days ago it still feels bruised today. Also I think my back pain got worst as I can feel it more often now...

Thanks for the link strider!

MarkoD
04-24-2014, 12:12 AM
Lol I think you're freaking yourself out.

Just take a Benadryl incase you're having an allergic reaction

Timbits
04-24-2014, 12:12 AM
If it's not better today I would be going to the doctor.

One thing I forgot to mention is it's a good idea to take an antihistamine because unusually strong reactions to stings are sometimes allergic reactions.

Sent from my Dungeon using mad Ninja Skillz.

Hmmm okay ill see if I have any laying around...

FishingGoalie
04-24-2014, 12:17 AM
I would still go to doctors though

Timbits
04-24-2014, 12:21 AM
Lol I think you're freaking yourself out.

Just take a Benadryl incase you're having an allergic reaction

LOL I hope so!!!!!! :lol:

Timbits
04-24-2014, 12:24 AM
I would still go to doctors though

The doctor probably won't even know what to do lol but ya I'm gonna go on Friday

Myka
04-24-2014, 02:44 AM
The doctor probably won't even know what to do lol but ya I'm gonna go on Friday

He won't know anything specific about it. If you take him some info that might help. Mycobacterium marinum is a bacteria that causes Mycobacteriosis. My understanding is this is usually associated with joint pain. There are also several species of Vibrio infections, but those would have probably made you very, very sick by now. Those are the two more common infections that are transferable to humans.

Chances are that you're simply more sensitive to that particular coral. I've also noticed that many people (myself included) are more sensitive to stings each time it happens.

Here is a link with lots of information... www.wetwebmedia.com/woundfaq.htm

Timbits
04-24-2014, 06:05 AM
He won't know anything specific about it. If you take him some info that might help. Mycobacterium marinum is a bacteria that causes Mycobacteriosis. My understanding is this is usually associated with joint pain. There are also several species of Vibrio infections, but those would have probably made you very, very sick by now. Those are the two more common infections that are transferable to humans.

Chances are that you're simply more sensitive to that particular coral. I've also noticed that many people (myself included) are more sensitive to stings each time it happens.

Here is a link with lots of information... www.wetwebmedia.com/woundfaq.htm

Wow, thanks so much for the info Mindy! I really appreciate it, now time to read up!

Scuba Diver Gal
04-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Any chance you are a scuba diver and have DAN insurance? Because when I got home from a recent dive trip, I phoned them about some medical questions I had (was worried it was related to my diving)…they were super helpful on the phone. I am pretty sure they would know lots about coral stings, etc. They also referred me to a dive doctor in Calgary…just a thought, in case the local docs aren't helpful. it was a quick 10 minute phone call and also a follow up email from them.

Timbits
04-30-2014, 01:08 AM
Any chance you are a scuba diver and have DAN insurance? Because when I got home from a recent dive trip, I phoned them about some medical questions I had (was worried it was related to my diving)…they were super helpful on the phone. I am pretty sure they would know lots about coral stings, etc. They also referred me to a dive doctor in Calgary…just a thought, in case the local docs aren't helpful. it was a quick 10 minute phone call and also a follow up email from them.

No I'm not :( that's really awesome though

Well, I saw the doctor and he prescribed me some antibiotics. Half way through it now, lets hope my finger gets better. Still pretty swollen and it has become very itchy and also my skin around the spot it touched is peeling like crazy. I want to move my lps but I'm scared cuz that finger is all exposed now dammit

Tn23
04-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Weak gloves tim. Don't wanna get stung again now do we....

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Scuba Diver Gal
04-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Crazy the stuff that can happen from the corals. When we are diving, we are super careful not to touch anything...but in the tank we sometimes forget it's the same stuff.

Last dive trip my son developed this weird rash...went to the local dr in Cayman (who are so accustomed to dive injuries) and she told him he had sea lice...weird little jelly fish babies crawl inside your wetsuit and sting you up repeatedly.

Bizarre. I got my son some good tongs for his tank now! Hope you're doing better soon.

Myka
04-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Still pretty swollen and it has become very itchy and also my skin around the spot it touched is peeling like crazy. I want to move my lps but I'm scared cuz that finger is all exposed now dammit

Crazy! Just from a Torch too - good thing you didn't get stung by something more potent!

I recently got nailed by a Radiata Urchin which has some decent toxicity. The pain was intense enough that I could use an Exacto blade to cut the spine out and let the poison bleed out without too much notice of the cutting. The Radiata injects a cool looking blue venom that I could clearly see in my finger with streaks that were headed up my finger. Bleeding it out worked well, and the pain as gone in an hour. I think I still have a piece of spine in there that will work its way out though.

Scuba Diver Gal
05-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Urchin spines work their way out slowly...had those from diving at night time when you can't see the urchins near shore. takes a few months though...

Slyguy00
05-01-2014, 06:50 AM
You must have one strong torch because i touch mine all the time and iv never been stung by it before. Hope it gets better!