PDA

View Full Version : ok folks.....really dumb question here...

Cujo#31
04-20-2014, 04:13 PM
Im sitting here going through my big tank set up. A little history...my tank is a 500 gallon "me build" plywood/fiberglass shell with only display side glass. ONE OF THESE DAYS I will have found the time to do the big change over and actually be able to proudly post a tank journal LMAO
Here is my challenge. I obviously want a little wave action going on, but powerhead magnets dont work so well through 3/4" plywood, 3" high density foam inulation and anoher layer of 1/2" plywood and the 19 mm glass is also too thick for magnets to work well....tried it. Not to mention im not too keen on having magnets and powerheads hanging off my only viewing area. I have designed my return flow to double as circ pumps so I have good water movement because of the slight magnetic problem but here is the question....
Could I run my return pump off a wave maker? I know it would reduce overall return rate volume but im oversized now on return pump (6000 gph with 3' head and only 1 90 degree before water is in the tank) running through 2" return plumbing so my basic math skills tell me I am still at around 10x change over.

jmustapha
04-20-2014, 04:49 PM
You will kill the pump in a hurry. Most return pumps are for continuous use.

lpsreefer
04-20-2014, 04:56 PM
I have wp-60 on my 19mm glass no problem.
That being said you can make a rock holder for them that way you would not need magnets at all.
They make a great wave.

JmeJReefer
04-20-2014, 05:54 PM
One of those SCWD (switching current water director) on the return with two nozzles?

Custom holder for WP60's?mp60s

a paddle?

monocus
04-20-2014, 10:51 PM
you can customize an acrylic holder that would hang off the side of the tank and put the wp on there

input80
04-20-2014, 10:59 PM
you can customize an acrylic holder that would hang off the side of the tank and put the wp on there

+1, sounds like the right idea

neoh
04-21-2014, 07:33 AM
use a wp40 with a large earth magnet?