PDA

View Full Version : New Blood shrimp struggling

Douglas
04-20-2014, 12:53 PM
I acquired a new Blood shrimp, which started to molt during the acclimatization process. He is now still struggling to remove his outer shell, a day later. I turned off the circulating pumps, to prevent him from getting sucked into one of them, due to his lack of ability to swim correctly. Is there anything else i can do to help him?

Baker
04-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I believe proper iodine levels help.

Douglas
04-20-2014, 04:52 PM
A quote from Reef Keeper Magazine.....

"I do not presently dose iodine to my aquarium, and do not recommend that others necessarily do so either. Iodine dosing is much more complicated than dosing other ions due to its substantial number of different naturally existing forms, the number of different forms that aquarists actually dose, the fact that all of these forms can interconvert in reef aquaria, and the fact that the available test kits detect only a subset of the total forms present. This complexity, coupled with the fact that no commonly kept reef aquarium species are known to require significant iodine, suggests that dosing is unnecessary and problematic".

For these reasons, I advise aquarists to NOT try to maintain a specific iodine concentration using supplementation and test kits.

I've never dosed/tested for Iodine myself. But hopefully a little more time, and he'll work his way out of his old molted shell.