PDA

View Full Version : Speedwave pump issues

banditpowdercoat
04-20-2014, 03:39 AM
I got a Speedwave 2640 form JL about 6 mos ago. Noticed today that it wasnt pumping. The power supply flashes and the controller is dark. Unplug pump from controller and controller and power supply light up and work fine. Plug pump in and all goes out. Like the pump is shorted maybe? Anyone else had this?

roblarss
04-20-2014, 04:36 AM
Yup. Mine did this recently. Green light was out. unplugged from the wall and replugged in and it came on. The controller then lit up also. As soon as I turned the pump on with the controller the green light would flicker and all would go out.

My supply would also make some noises as it flashed.

I was sent a new power supply and in a matter of a week I was running again.

The Grizz
04-20-2014, 05:51 AM
The issue with these pump power supplies is they run way to hot. the only way I have been able to keep them from failing is to put fans in front of the power supply to keep the temp in the low 20*.

banditpowdercoat
04-20-2014, 08:28 AM
OK, so it's a confirmed power supply issue? If that is the case, I plan on eventually having 3 of these. And I can build a power supply to handle them, if thats the issue.

roblarss
04-20-2014, 08:37 AM
In my case it was. I cant see it being different for you. Supply works until load is put on it.

If I have more failures Im also going to just build a better 24v supply.

craigwmiller
04-20-2014, 03:47 PM
OK, so it's a confirmed power supply issue? If that is the case, I plan on eventually having 3 of these. And I can build a power supply to handle them, if thats the issue.

This is my plan too! I have 3 of these already running, and also I have 7 AI Hydras... My plan is to run a large proper switching powersupply to run everything 24V in my system, and likely save a significant amount of power due to the efficiency!

The Grizz
04-20-2014, 06:37 PM

I have 7 of the DC pumps running on 2 different tanks and have had 2 power supplies do this exact thing. Wish I was more electronically in tune but since I added cooling fans I havent had an issue.......knock on wood.

banditpowdercoat
04-21-2014, 01:07 AM
I have built 24V power supplies out of a couple server power supplies. I have one for my RC Heli charging station, 24v 47A I'll see if I can find an adapter to plug into the controller and try it. JL is sending me a RMA for it tho too. But if I can get it going, I'd rather build something solid to run it and have it back, rather than wait months for it to be returned for warranty

neoh
04-21-2014, 07:28 AM
I had mine crap out after about 6 months. Turns out it was a bad controller.