PDA

View Full Version : Oh No!!!

FishingGoalie
04-19-2014, 03:23 PM
So this morning i woke up to a tragedy. My lid was half in my tank and my favourite Diamond Watchamn Goby was laying on the floor. I need a better lid rather then just using 48x24 piece of egg crate. I think i need something to clip the lid down so a fish can't just knock it off. I also need some sort of clear mesh like a screen door. Where can i get these materials and what sort of screen should i use?

Thanks
HAyden

SteveCGY
04-19-2014, 03:27 PM
So this morning i woke up to a tragedy. My lid was half in my tank and my favourite Diamond Watchamn Goby was laying on the floor. I need a better lid rather then just using 48x24 piece of egg crate. I think i need something to clip the lid down so a fish can't just knock it off. I also need some sort of clear mesh like a screen door. Where can i get these materials and what sort of screen should i use?

Thanks
HAyden

I was gonna use a screen mesh, found it at Home Depot for really cheap that came in big rolls. Like $10 But once I put it over my tank and saw how much it shades my lights I threw it away. I personally would recommend something else. Maybe a glass top?

FishingGoalie
04-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I was gonna use a screen mesh, found it at Home Depot for really cheap that came in big rolls. Like $10 But once I put it over my tank and saw how much it shades my lights I threw it away. I personally would recommend something else. Maybe a glass top?

Wouldn't the glass top just block as much light with all the evaporation on it? I'm using egg crate so i can't see it being any worse

Coralgurl
04-19-2014, 03:34 PM
I use eggcrate as well and have had a couple of fish jump through, including a small diamondback goby. Ive also left the piece i move to feed off and had fish jump. BRS has a mesh screen.

Sorry for your loss!

FishingGoalie
04-19-2014, 03:50 PM
I use eggcrate as well and have had a couple of fish jump through, including a small diamondback goby. Ive also left the piece i move to feed off and had fish jump. BRS has a mesh screen.

Sorry for your loss!

This fish wasn't that small though theres no way he coulee squeezed through and are these fish strong enough to move the egg crate right out of the way? Because it was like half in my tank. I was looking at that for my biocube a couple months ago and thought ehhhh i got egg crate but now that i know the fish will knock the egg crate out of the way i don't know what to do.

Coralgurl
04-19-2014, 04:02 PM
Ohhh, the fish moved it??!! Can you add something to weigh it down?

zephyr50
04-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi, I just got a DIY screen kit from Bulk Reef Supply. My tank is only 30 gal, but they come in different sizes. I think the mesh is 1/2". Haven't installed it yet but the don't think the mesh will shade too much due to the density. And it is for aquariums, so you would think... I paid $37 but with shipping etc it adds up. But maybe not to a Watchman Goby. Prevention usually doesn't come cheap. Good luck!

FishingGoalie
04-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Ya the fished knocked it about 8 inches i was think velcro but i dont want to stick it to my euro brace.

kien
04-19-2014, 05:27 PM
I would recommend making a polypropelene mesh cover, like this (http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=527917&postcount=501). Virtually no light loss. You can get the mesh at BulkReefSupply. Some people have also used a similar material from hardware stores that's like a plastic chicken wire. Definitely don't use the window/door screens that they sell at the hardware stores. Those will definitely restrict too much light.

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/IMG_4728.jpg?t=1276673002