PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Splitting Help

Drfu
04-19-2014, 05:10 AM
Some background, i purchased privately a rock flower anemone about a month or so ago. Its been great, nice colouring and no issues with it moving around at all until last week. It decided to go under a rock structure where i have a sun coral and a powerhead. After it staying their for a couple of days i kinda panicked as i have heard horror stories of anemones jumping into powerheads! I used an ice cube and my tweezers and moved him back. Its been fine for the last week when i noticed yesterday that their is a little one attached to the rock where it was before!

My question is this, a friend wants him, is it save to detach and give away or does it need time to grow first? Don't want to hurt the little guy!

BlueTang<3
04-19-2014, 02:22 PM
I usually give all my anemone splits a few weeks to heal before pulling them out unless it is in danger of going into a powerhead

Drfu
04-20-2014, 12:07 AM
I just found another one in my tank and there seems to be one coming again! Shouldn't there be a male & female for them to have babies or was this thing prego before & it was just time to split. Also will it continue to do this or is this a one time pregnancy and after what is done is done?

jordsyke
04-20-2014, 12:09 AM
no they split and clone themselves, those type of anenomes will do this frequently and can start stinging corals nearby, best to put them on their own rock not touching other rocks

Albertareefer51
04-20-2014, 01:46 AM
Rock flower anemones do not split. They only reproduce sexually. There was probably a spawn that happened before you bought it. As you now have babies you may get another spawn down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drfu
04-20-2014, 02:29 PM
Rock flower anemones do not split. They only reproduce sexually. There was probably a spawn that happened before you bought it. As you now have babies you may get another spawn down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And this is what i thought as well from what i have read online so far. I cant see myself keeping them in my 15gallon so i guess i will sell them off when they ate old enough. Very cool though and i like the colors that some of them.

daplatapus
04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
Just picked up one of these guys yesterday. Are they hermaphroditic or are they specifically male or female? If they are, any way of telling?

Ryanerickson
04-21-2014, 03:38 PM
They are males and females but no way of telling them apart any pics?

Drfu
04-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Here is my adult