PDA

View Full Version : Question for computer geeks Re: Windows operating systems

trilinearmipmap
08-07-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm having problems with my computers.

Two computers at work are networked together, one with Windows XP Pro and one with Windows ME.

The Windows ME computer gives me a lot of grief. Programs freeze, the computer crashes, and I can't run two programs at the same time.

My software vendor told me Windows ME is unreliable and I should upgrade to Windows XP Pro.

1. Is there any way to fix the glitches in Windows ME without upgrading to XP?

2. Can I take my Windows XP disk which came with my one computer, and use it to install Windows XP on the other computer (both are Pentium 4 machines).

3. If I install Windows XP on the second computer can I do this without removing the programs I have installed there?

EmilyB
08-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Well, I'm not a computer geek, but I can answer one of those questions because I just tried it last night.

I am having similar problems and I couldn't find my W98Plus disk for the downstairs computer and so I was gonna install the XP instead. No go. If it came with the computer it probably isn't going to install over another version of windows.

trilinearmipmap
08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
OK Thanks.

Zerandise
08-07-2004, 08:28 PM
I might not know much about reefs yet but this i do know about :)

1. Is there any way to fix the glitches in Windows ME without upgrading to XP?

Most likely yes. However ME very glitchy in its own. it is not one of the *better* os's put out by microsoft. All depends what what it is doing.

2. Can I take my Windows XP disk which came with my one computer, and use it to install Windows XP on the other computer (both are Pentium 4 machines).

This is a bit harder. You must have an "upgradeable" version of XP. That isnt so much the problem tho. XP needs a new CD key for every system it installs on. You CANT run two computers with the same key.

3. If I install Windows XP on the second computer can I do this without removing the programs I have installed there?

If you do pick up a copy of XP that is upgrade they yes everything will be useable when you are done. nothing should change but the OS.

Aquattro
08-07-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd like to add that upgrading oftens carries some of the glitches with it. ME is just a poor OS, and I would personally start over with XP as my OS. Even if that means having to "find" the program disks for the software you're currently running.
And unless you have a volume license copy, each PC needs to have it's own (MS activated) copy of windows installed.

trilinearmipmap
08-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

Sometimes I would like to take a baseball bat to my computers.

I don't understand how Bill Gates got so rich making a product that is so poor.

props
08-12-2004, 06:03 PM
if you don't know what youre doing i would stick with win me
if you tweak it enough its fool proof. better in benchmarking but slower in other things. but it uses a lot less memory to run than xp. also faster in loading

i disagree with zerandise in regards to using same serial no. with multiple computers.. if you bought the sofware your legally allowed to use the serial no. as many times as you want but it has to be within your house only..
also i'm pretty sure you guys know somebody using a copy version of xp using ******************key which by the way were upgradable at microsoft update page for the first 6months when xp came out . now to get it working you have to get a keychanger and update

"1. Is there any way to fix the glitches in Windows ME without upgrading to XP? " yes but a lotta research to do. most of tweaks are avaible via. google

"2. Can I take my Windows XP disk which came with my one computer, and use it to install Windows XP on the other computer (both are Pentium 4 machines). " yes you can

"3. If I install Windows XP on the second computer can I do this without removing the programs I have installed there?" no you can't. even with the upgrade version of xp some sofware doesn't work after you upgrade the os due to different support files, plugins and compatibility of the old sofware. though you can right click on that sofware after the os have been update and try running it on a different compatibility mode ei. win 95.98,me, nt
/right click the sofware/ properties/ compatiblity tab/ check compatibily mode and run on differ os type

=o)

why risk your computer to the vulnerability of xp
ev'ryones making spyware , viruses , hacks for this os
by far the worse microsoft have created
get yourself a copy of mac os x and install in on your pc =o)
or a linux base os or be like me experiment with 4comps on differ os'ssss

Aquattro
08-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Please don't post stolen serial numbers here. Also, when you buy an OS from Microsoft, you are entitled to install it on 1 (ONE) only computer. You don't buy and own the software, you buy a license to use it on one computer. XP also needs to be activated with MS and they will only activate one copy. You have 3 computers? You need three copies. Period.

It isn't something to agree or disagree on, it's the law.

Now, when you run an upgrade of XP, it will assess your existing programs and tell you what will run and what won't. Most will.

And if your computer is a halfway decent machine, I would recommend upgrading away from ME today. No.Wait. Yesterday! ME just sucks.

trilinearmipmap
08-12-2004, 09:25 PM
Still Microsoft sold me a crappy operating system (ME) and now they expect me to pay them again for a new operating system. Sounds ethical to me.

Aquattro
08-12-2004, 09:27 PM
You mean unethical, right? :razz: But hey, for 50 billion dollars, I'd throw ethics out the window too!! :biggrin:

Zerandise
08-13-2004, 01:28 AM
i disagree with zerandise in regards to using same serial no. with multiple computers.. if you bought the sofware your legally allowed to use the serial no. as many times as you want but it has to be within your house only..

With windows XP you MUST get it auth'd by microsoft online or by phone within 30 days. regardless of what you think this is so. when you get an auth it regenrates your cose based on key hardware in your system. that key can ONLY be used on that system. should you deside to change computers you WILL be asked to reauth it. At that time the internal key code will change again making the first no good.

I just so happen to be a bit of a redneck computer Geek ;)

I am also production manager for the largest computer company in western Canada. I have installed windows xp a couple times:D

Aquattro
08-13-2004, 01:44 AM
[quote]

I am also production manager for the largest computer company in western Canada.

Are you with Seanix?

Zerandise
08-13-2004, 03:35 AM
Discovery Computers. i started when we had 3 stores 5 years ago. we have 30 now across BC and AB.

www.discoverycomputers.com is us.

Aquattro
08-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Ahh, I thought you meant manufacturer. Discovery is a good retail outlet for computers, I recommend them to people looking for a good local store.

Zerandise
08-13-2004, 03:41 AM
you have used us? nice ;)

we by the way build all our own computers. I personaly have built 95% of them.

Aquattro
08-13-2004, 03:49 AM
Sorry, never used you, but have heard lots of good things. Whenthey first started the retail outlets over in Victoria, I hooked up the cable internet for them and met the owners.
I also talked to clients that had bought machines and needed service later, and were very pleased with both.

I personally deal with a guy that runs a home based shop, and the prices are a bit better there. I don't need service or advice, just the parts, so it works for me.

Zerandise
08-13-2004, 03:51 AM
that good to hear thanks!!

yeah i dont need service much either tho i could offer to fix for frags :)

you know thats one hell of an idea lol!

charge frag an hour lol

Aquattro
08-13-2004, 03:55 AM
I wonder if I could pay Microsoft in frags when I need to call them. :biggrin: Guess not :rolleyes:

Zerandise
08-13-2004, 03:57 AM
most likely not :razz: worth a try tho!

I do often trade hardware for frags tho. Gewts me babies and saves a fellow reefer from paying retail. a win/win trade most times. lol we reefers need to save every penny we can :)