PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Seahorses

reef-keeper
04-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Just a feeler question. I found a shipper that ships these teeny-tiny ponies to Canada. Is there any one in the close vicinity of Edmonton that would like to grab a few of these? Will not be ordering for a couple months. This is just a question to see if there is interest for this. If you have any questions PM me or post a note.

Thanks for Reading
Len

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Just to let you know, they would need a special CITES permit to ship in any type of seahorse as far as I know and perhaps paperwork to prove they are captive-bred, not wild caught.

reef-keeper
04-16-2014, 06:09 PM
All the work has been looked into and getting sorted out. The only faction I have not had a reply from is the CFIA.

reef-keeper
04-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Bump

reef-keeper
04-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Looks like there is very little interest in getting this type of seahorse. I will ask when it is closer to the date I am goiing to order. Hope fully there is a little more interest.

howdy20012002
04-23-2014, 10:56 PM
I will take some depending on cost and if it is above board with regulations an such.

morecowbell
04-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Is there other species available? Who is the supplier?

rayjay
04-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Best to start a new post if it's other than dwarfs you have an interest in. Otherwise it can be confusing with posting about other than the title subject.

reef-keeper
04-25-2014, 10:50 PM
So far the cost for shipping, permits, and US inspections will be around $500.00 USD. I haven't got a reply from the Canadian gov. But as far as I can read the Canadian cost will be under $50.00 and depending on how many DWARF seahorses I order they are around $20.00 each. Hope I did not scare any body away!!! LOL

fishoholic
04-26-2014, 04:14 PM
I've looked into dwarf seahorse's before I really wanted one but they only eat live food which I don't have the time or patience to raise in a separate tank as a food source for them. However I do have a million flatworms if they eat those :lol:

Here's a good link to info on keeping dwarf seahorse's
http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles/dwarfguide/dwarfguide.shtml

reef-keeper
04-27-2014, 02:35 AM
These are captive bred and thrive on fresh hatched brine shrimp. Very easy to set up a couple hatcheries to accommodate them. And as a treat you can feed them newly hatched coepodes

rayjay
04-27-2014, 03:36 AM
As dwarfs have a very short life span, it is much better to enrich the brine nauplii before using as food.
Their normal 1 1/2 yr lifespan might get over two years if done correctly and consistantly.
Grow out the newly hatched nauplii for a day (they cannot feed until they molt to the Instar II stage where the digestive tract is completed), and then enrich using new water and new enrichment for each of two 12 hour stages.
They would be considered gut loaded after one stage, but after the second, the enrichment will have become assimilated into the flesh providing more enrichment than just gut loading.
The best enrichment to use is Dan's Feed from seahorsesource.com.
When I imported them a few years back I think the cost worked out to be in the $30's. Watch out for the brokerage fee when landed in Canada.

reef-keeper
08-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Will be ordering in two weeks. Prices will be divided equally once I get a final tally. There will be an added cost depending on the amount of brokerage fees applied. I'm getting 15 for myself. I'm ordering from seahorsecorral.com if any body would like to check thing out. Plus I'm self clearing to save on the brokerage fees.

reef-keeper
08-26-2014, 05:56 PM
New update!!! Just got the info on the cost of the the dwarf seahorses. If I ordered 25 it will cost with all permits and inspections $1300.00(CAD) roughly. If I order 100 horses the cost per horse will be roughly $30.00 dollars(CAD). This price does not include the clearing fees, duty or taxes. The cost might go up to $35.00 per horse. Do I have any body that is interested? They are captive bread and they do eat finely chopped frozen food. I'm ordering in first week of September. Please let me know as soon as possible.

rayjay
08-26-2014, 06:15 PM
Was it Beth that told you they were eating finely chopped frozen food?
I got dwarfs from Beth at Seahorse Corral in Florida and they wouldn't eat enough frozen anything to survive. They would pick at some occasionally but they certainly couldn't sustain themselves long term.
A good life span for dwarfs is 1 1/2 to 2 years.
If you check on seahorse.org, I think you won't find anyone who has been able to get the dwarfs to sustain themselves on frozen foods of any kind, shaved or not.
I've always had to use enriched (with Dan's Feed from seahorsesource.com) brine nauplii.
I believe Yvette is feeding hers enriched brine nauplii and possibly some of the copepods she is culturing.
This is from the seahorsecorral website.
Our dwarves will pick at frozen cyclops but to ensure really good health they require a feed of live baby brine shrimp daily

IMO, they should have at least TWO daily feedings of live enriched baby brine shrimp. Remember too that you have to grow the shrimp out for a day after hatching until they develop a full digestive tract. Up to then they cannot feed and thus cannot be enriched.

reef-keeper
08-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes Beth said they are eating frozen food. But still need a daily feeding of live brine shrimp.

reef-keeper
09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Tank is almost ready!!! Will be ordering within the next two weeks. The more I have to order the cheaper they are!!! Please do your research If you are going to buy. They NEED 1 day old newly hatched ENRICHED brine shrimp to be happy @ twice daily. But they will also nip and finely chopped frozen but that will not sustain them. AS previously posted the cost for permit, vet and government inspections is quite costly when ordering under 100 horses.

swill
09-17-2014, 02:58 AM
Do you plan on selling any once you get them in?

reef-keeper
09-17-2014, 10:15 PM
You know I just might. But after paying for everything they might cost a very shinny penny.. cost me almost $60.00 per horse with all the fees and permits. And I expect delivery Oct. 1st. Thanks for asking!!!

rayjay
09-18-2014, 02:53 AM
How many are you ordering? It didn't cost me anywhere near that and I'm sure Yvette's dwarfs came in at a much lower cost than that.

reef-keeper
09-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I ordered lower than the minimum. I ordered only 25 so I had to pay for all the fees. If I ordered 100 or over the fees were included in the price

reef-keeper
10-02-2014, 03:05 AM
They have arrived!!!

Kellyscoral
10-02-2014, 03:25 AM
Awesome! Post some pics once they settle in!

reef-keeper
10-02-2014, 02:00 PM
I will once I figure out how to do it from tapatalk.

reef-keeper
10-03-2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=925&pictureid=6662Hope this works but here some are...dont know why the picture ended up in side view. Can I submit this pic in photo of the month?http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=925&pictureid=6664

Kellyscoral
10-04-2014, 12:20 AM
Those are so cute!