PDA

View Full Version : old tank...new stand.

Graham_f
04-08-2014, 09:42 PM
ok, so im switching things up a little and making a secondary display/sump for my little reef.

I need a little advice on how to move my existing tank without disturbing it too much. Its going from a little stand behind...to up top at eye level on the new one and will sit in the same spot against the wall.

is there any other option besides transferring everything into buckets and moving it once its empty?

any advice would be appreciated.
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/gfish3410/photo2_zpsca05360e.jpg

Craigdillman
04-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Not sure but maybe drain like 80% of the water and then try to get 6 guys to help move it? its going to be super heavy and without taking stuff out you risk of a rock collapse... hrm wonder what others will say, is there any possible way to make a "ramp or Wood system that you could get some rollers under it to move it?

duncangweller
04-09-2014, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't even risk it. A pain in the backside bit empty and rebuild is what I would do

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

WarDog
04-09-2014, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't even risk it. A pain in the backside bit empty and rebuild is what I would do

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

+1. If you do move it full of livestock and some water please make a video of it and post the disastrous results here. Seriously though, I moved a 10 gal years ago half full and it was leaking within days. Would never do it again, even with just gravel.

FishingGoalie
04-09-2014, 12:37 AM
the only way i could possibly think you do it is remove all water into buckets pick up the fish off the sand put the fish into one of the buckets with a towel over it. Then quickly move the tank if its not too heavy to protect from damage put a pice of plywood under it so theres less stress on the glass. then quickly fill it back up with water.

I wouldn't suggest this but if you have to make sure you use the plywood.

Craigdillman
04-09-2014, 01:18 AM
Yea you forget how heavy it is and the stress on the tank

The Guy
04-09-2014, 08:02 AM
It's an older tank so I would empty it right out and start over, also by changing stands it may cause some different tank stress points. Make sure to use some foam under it for sure on the new stand. good luck.

reefwars
04-09-2014, 12:50 PM
If it holds water then it can prob hold sand and rock for 10 mins while you lift it lol

Me and Matt moved a gentleman's 300 g basically drained it to the last inch of water and took out any unstable rock we then ( just the two of us) lifted it to its new stand , same scenario as you and this was a 300dd

If it were me that's how I'd do it;)

pinkreef
04-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I would empty and give it a good cleaning out
then refill in its new place.
of course that will disturb everything!