PDA

View Full Version : Led upgrade ideas and suggestions

jay2x
04-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Im looking to clear my pc lights from my biocube 29 gallons and doing some diy upgrades.

Im looking for any suggestions without hanging or opening up the hood for led upgrades.

If you guys have any for sale?

Ideas?

Product suggestions?

Hopefully everything is on the cheap :D

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

FishingGoalie
04-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Just get some led strips. you will probably have to rip out the PC bulbs and connectors and put the strips underneath that water protector. I think strips are like 12$. Ive ask seen people wire them up into the switches so they have whites on one switch and blues on the other.

mike31154
04-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Does the current hood with PC fixture include any cooling fans? If so you can easily throw a few multi-chip LEDs on appropriately sized heatsinks in there. All kinds of them available on the net these days, including multi-chips with a white/blue mix on the same chip. Strips are also a good option, depending on the type of livestock you're keeping. They can be pretty much plug & play, with silicone covered, water resistant/proof options available.

Link to my own DIY effort is below.

Craigdillman
04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Have you checked out the retrofits on rapidled.com or stevesleds they have kits for putting leds in biocubes

jay2x
04-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Have you checked out the retrofits on rapidled.com or stevesleds they have kits for putting leds in biocubes

Though it would be nice upgrade with rapidled kits, price for led kits are crazy.

Craigdillman
04-08-2014, 04:24 PM
But oooo so worth it

StirCrazy
04-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I was looking at a diy set up for LED also, but honestly after seeing the evergrow 2080 on a tank in person, that is what I am going with now, although I will be going with the smaller one (2060 or 2040) at under 400 bucks its a no brainer.

Steve