PDA

View Full Version : fish colour

Corey
08-06-2004, 02:25 AM
is there any way to brighten the coloration in fish i.e. food, additives

EmilyB
08-06-2004, 02:35 AM
Are your fish fading? What type of fish are they?

Fish require good nutrition, a variety of foods to be healthy over the longterm.

Corey
08-06-2004, 02:52 AM
Yellow Tang, Bangaii Cardinal, Clarkii Clown , three yellow tail damsels, Ive only ever fed them flake food. I bought a clip and tried feeding my tang lettuce but it just sat there and rotted.

kuatto
08-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Try some sushi wrapps from the grocery store for your tang,and the more variety you can offer the others,the better off they'll be.

EmilyB
08-06-2004, 03:15 AM
The tang will require nori (sushi wrap) make sure the package says the only ingredient is seaweed. Tightly strap with elastic to clip or whatever to feed. Feed as much as is easily consumed. Start with a 2" x 2" piece.

The rest of your occupants need a variety of foods. Marine Cuisine is a good frozen food, get some PE mysis, vary your flake food to include spirulina flake, formula two....if you can feed some dried plankton/krill do so, I have to mix them in a homemade formula or they just go thru the overflow and I'm not into shutting down the system everytime I feed.

kuatto
08-06-2004, 03:27 AM
I paid 2.50 for 10 big sheets of dried seaweed from Safeway in the deli department.no additives,just 100% seaweed.

Corey
08-06-2004, 03:47 AM
thanks for your input , very informative and greatly appreciated. If I begin to feed them a variety of things their colour will become more vibrant?

TANGOMAN
08-06-2004, 02:24 PM
With the nutrition they require and a good variety as mentioned, you should see a drastic improvement.
I believe every aspect of successfuly keeping marine life involves duplicating their natural environment as closely as possible, including diet. I mean, I love Corn Pops but I don't eat it for every meal... :wink:
Deb aughta' open a catering service for the distinguished fish. Kinda' like "meals on wheels" or somethin'... :lol:

andestang
08-06-2004, 05:04 PM
I've been hearing good things about cyclop-eeze for bringing out coloration - especially in clowns. I'm going to give it a try. But still have to feed with their other naturual diet foods.

Jedi68
08-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Hey Ande if you are going to try the Cyclop-eeze, you should consider the flake version. The other dry version is too hard to feed. I found that the majority of them float on the top and down the overflow.

DOO-E
08-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Ive had the same problem fish were fading but i mixed it up pellet, flake, mysis shrimp, lettuce. This worked wonders.

dirtyreefer
08-06-2004, 09:30 PM
I just bought some Cyclop-eeze flake for the first time, and I mixed it with my HBH Marine Veggie flakes. That way all my fish are getting the proper nutrition they need in one dosing!

Tangs especially need greens, and Nori should be supplemented for them.

andestang
08-07-2004, 05:06 AM
Hey Ande if you are going to try the Cyclop-eeze, you should consider the flake version.
Thanks,I think thats what I"ll try. Has anyone heard of it coming frozen?Thought I read somewhere that it was coming out

Jack
08-07-2004, 05:21 AM
I've had good success with Selcon and Cyclope-eeze but I use the freeze dried stuff not the flake.. same thing though!