PDA

View Full Version : Tired of skimmer

mattr
04-08-2014, 02:27 AM
I am kind of new to this. I have had a tank for a year and a half now so this is the only skimmer that I have ever had.

My setup. I have three chambers in my sump. In the first one; my skimmer,
second one some cheato (msg me if you want any for free) and in my third the return pump.

Now my issue is that cheato gets stuck in my skimmer in the middle where the bubbles are supposed to separate(the plate with the holes)? What I end up doing is adjusting the skimmer to raise the foam until it completely stops and I have to take it out and clean the whole skimmer out (about once a month)

Sometimes I adjust it and it collects a bit then next thing i know it overflows on me dumping everything that it collected right back into the tank. I ended up putting a fish net in over the inlet for the skimmer but the same thing. Its just very inconsistant and very frustrating.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Myka
04-08-2014, 02:40 AM
Which skimmer do you have?

mattr
04-08-2014, 02:50 AM
cad lights pls-100

Myka
04-08-2014, 02:54 AM
I'm unsure how the Chaeto is getting into the skimmer when the skimmer is in the chamber before the Chaeto. Could you please explain?

mattr
04-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Some gets into my tank. Then some ends up eaten and some gets into the overflow. and down the drain

Myka
04-08-2014, 03:03 AM
Could you put a filter sock on the drain to catch it?

mattr
04-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Lets say that I cant. Are there any other options?
The reason I feel like I cant is because the water level in my sump is about an inch and a half to the top. and the splashing or overflow of the sock will be very close to the rim.

monza
04-08-2014, 05:21 AM
Take the Chaeto out...

WarDog
04-08-2014, 05:23 AM
Take the Chaeto out...

+1

Slyguy00
04-08-2014, 07:13 AM
The reason I feel like I cant is because the water level in my sump is about an inch and a half to the top. and the splashing or overflow of the sock will be very close to the rim.

How does adding a small filter sock raise your water level an inch and a half? I have two large filter socks in my sump and they don't raise the water level at all. Also They are great for clearing up water and collecting all sorts of unwanted debris. Removing the chaeto would be easiest, but id personally just add a filter sock and call it a day.

Myka
04-08-2014, 12:17 PM

The filter sock should not be in there long enough for it to overflow. It should be changed twice per week or so.

On another note, do you have enough room in your sump for the backflow when the power goes out?

StirCrazy
04-08-2014, 01:26 PM
I am kind of new to this. I have had a tank for a year and a half now so this is the only skimmer that I have ever had.

My setup. I have three chambers in my sump. In the first one; my skimmer,
second one some cheato (msg me if you want any for free) and in my third the return pump.

Now my issue is that cheato gets stuck in my skimmer in the middle where the bubbles are supposed to separate(the plate with the holes)? What I end up doing is adjusting the skimmer to raise the foam until it completely stops and I have to take it out and clean the whole skimmer out (about once a month)

Sometimes I adjust it and it collects a bit then next thing i know it overflows on me dumping everything that it collected right back into the tank. I ended up putting a fish net in over the inlet for the skimmer but the same thing. Its just very inconsistant and very frustrating.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

need a lot more info here, what size is your tank, sump, ect what do you have for a load in it? from what I have read that is suposed to be a deicent skimmer, but if the only problem is the cheato, then get rid of it.

Steve

mattr
04-08-2014, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't want to get rid of the cheato because there is so much life in there. Can anyone suggest a good replacement for it though?

pinkreef
04-08-2014, 03:29 PM
sponge cover on the skimmer intake

monocus
04-08-2014, 03:44 PM
on the cheato chamber ,do you have a overflow comb?

Slyguy00
04-08-2014, 04:00 PM
The filter sock should not be in there long enough for it to overflow. It should be changed twice per week or so.

On another note, do you have enough room in your sump for the backflow when the power goes out?

Thats what I was wondering. If you only have an inch and a half where does the water go on power outage?

Craigdillman
04-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Pictures !

Proteus
04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
If your cheato is falling apart then I would trim it back. Alot.

Lower the water level in your sump if you can. Are your baffled to the top

Craigdillman
04-08-2014, 04:14 PM
Yea im not sure how the cheato is jumping the baffle, mine just stays in the compartment thats its in

Proteus
04-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Yea im not sure how the cheato is jumping the baffle, mine just stays in the compartment thats its in

It's probably.falling apart from low nutrients

GoFish
04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
If you come by my house in North Van I can give you everything you need to solve your problem. I used to have sooo many problems with this skimmer, now I drain the cup every 2 weeks and it's been running problem free for 5 months now and it's in the same section as chaeto

Or i can post a couple photos and material list for what you need

Is this a first gen without the tension lock? If so I have a spare.

mattr
04-09-2014, 01:28 AM
thank you vancity!

the cheato very firm so its not falling apart. I have an emerald crab in there keeping things clean for me so he must be doing something

GoFish
04-09-2014, 03:46 AM
Here are some photos of what i did. No more chaeto clogging up the needle wheel or bubble plate. It takes ALOT of crud to plug up the netting, the last photo is about 40% of what ive seen it block and have yet to have any change to the level in the skimmer body

Sorry this isn't a complete walkthrough but the pics should give you an idea..

Needed
Clamato Bottle (1.89L) I used this because of the shape and size of lid, the elastic band fits nicely in the curved part
Dremel or other rotary tool to cut the hole in the lid and top of the bottle off
Elastic band
Wedding veil
Crazy Glue
Safety goggles or not

Hole cut in lid and glued to the skimmer intake
http://i.imgur.com/gGJ0ree.gif

Top of Clamato bottle with elastic band holding wedding veil
http://i.imgur.com/yTJnUj6.gif

In action...
http://i.imgur.com/KGMpCEf.gif

The wedding veil is really easy to rinse off, about 1 minute in the sink every month running the tap inside the mouth of the bottle

AND YOU GET TO DRINK CLAMATO.... MMM CLAMATO... and BEER...must be 19 years of age or older :)

Like i say you are more than welcome to come by, i can even cut the bottle and hole in the lid for you