PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse in Quarantine

Wretch
04-07-2014, 04:53 PM
I have a bare bottom quarantine tank and am looking at adding a four spot yellow coris wrasse. What is the best way to go about this? Thanks.

tlhood
04-07-2014, 04:58 PM
I heard some people put a little container of sand in there in case it wants to burry itself (if it is the burying kind), then chuck the sand after the quarantine is over. Other people have done 4 weeks without sand.

I've just read up on it though, haven't put it to the test myself.

TimT
04-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Just use a small deli container filled with fine coral sand. Halichoeres Wrasses feel more secure when they can bury themselves.

They do take a bit to get over jet lag and adapt to the new time zone. It usually takes them a week or so. Once adapted you can set your watch by them popping out of the sand. ;-)

Cheers,
Tim

Sunee
04-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Also much easier to move to your display when quarantine is over as long as you keep both with the same parameters. Pop or hold a lid on the container after your wrasse has gone to bed, move to the display and they wake up in their new home. I did this with my leopard wrasse and I think it was a lot less stressful than trying to net them.

Wretch
04-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Any ideas how big and deep the container of sand should be? Quarantine is 10g. Thanks again.

duncangweller
04-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Wait for Greg to pitch in, from chatting to him previously this is something that he has done.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tlhood
04-08-2014, 03:29 AM
Also much easier to move to your display when quarantine is over as long as you keep both with the same parameters. Pop or hold a lid on the container after your wrasse has gone to bed, move to the display and they wake up in their new home. I did this with my leopard wrasse and I think it was a lot less stressful than trying to net them.

I'd think you would want to be careful doing that (putting the container of sand from QT to tank), since if they did have parasites or whatever, or you treated with copper it could leach out of the sand into your tank.

Sunee
04-08-2014, 02:15 PM
You would want the sand in the container to be at least 2 inches deep and the width of the container would depend on the size of the wrasse. Mine was about twice her length. If the quarantine has done it's job you should not be transferring parasites; however, the caution about copper is true. i never use copper so did not think of that but you should not have sand in a quarantine tank if you are treating with copper.