PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some help

DOO-E
08-05-2004, 07:34 AM
I need to fit a large amount of aquariums in a small space. So i need to build a stand that will hold all of them. There are 5 ten gallons 5 20 gallons 2 25 gallon breeders, 5 33 gallon tanks. I have figured that will but the width side pointing out but i need to build a mulitlevel stand to incormerate these tanks. For lights i am just going to use flouresent bulbs so there needs to b room for those also.

kuatto
08-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Check out any of your local hardware stores for the metal/wood utility shelving units.

DOO-E
08-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Here i was think something on the lines of this
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=968
This is what i am leaning towards what are your ideas on this. Mind you non of these are going to be freshwater and most of them will be run by a either sponge filter or a UG so i can make a side cabinet for all my supplies and stuff.

snaggle
08-05-2004, 11:08 PM
You can build something like that I looked at the oneat my LFS and it is made of 1" ply-wood and 2x6 just so you have and idea. you would have to take the ply-wood and cut the legs (at least 3) cut holes for the 2x6 in all 3. then you pass the 2x6 trough the holes 1 in fron and one on back so there are each going through the 3 legs. Now you tow nail all the legs into the plywood. After you do that you put a stinger every 6-8" and screw them together (don't nail) these will keet it tight ang give you a place to mount ligting if needed. after that cover the stringers with .5" or .75" ply-wood also put a 2" strip of the 1" ply-wood under the arm that go troug the legs and screw that on. that will be over built enough to hold all the tanks just remember one set of tanks per leg and max 8' tall and as long as you can buy a 2x6 that you can make one peace out of it. hope this will help you out. and one more thing, you will have to paint it with a good primer and bathroom pain or extior paint and seal with clear coat.

Quinn
08-06-2004, 12:40 AM
Mind you non of these are going to be freshwater...

You mean saltwater right.

DOO-E
08-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Opps thank you Teevee yes non of these are going to be Saltwater they will be for Freshwater. Mainly for Blue Rams, Gold Rams, Cockatoo Cichlids, A Agazzi's Dwarf Cichlids. O yes a larger tank will be set up in the middle for a display tank with schools of Tetras and Disucs.

Aquattro
08-06-2004, 01:12 AM
yes non ove these are going to be freshwater they will be for Freshwater.

you did it again...

Samw
08-06-2004, 01:46 AM
lager tank

A tank full of lager. Well, that explains it. hehe. just kidding.

Dale D
08-06-2004, 07:00 AM
yes non ove these are going to be freshwater they will be for Freshwater.

you did it again...

:mrgreen:

StirCrazy
08-06-2004, 05:52 PM
the best sugestion was the one you are ignoring.

go to home depot and spend 80 bucks on a industreal storage rach that can hold 1000 lbs per shelf with 5 shelves.

then if you decide you don't want to raise freshwater fish anymore you have a good storage rack for what ever else you may decide to do.

Steve

DOO-E
08-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Sorry Guys i have been getting off work late latly excuse me. All the tanks will be Freshwater not Saltwater. Top rack will be 10's second will be 25's 3rd rack will be 33's

DOO-E
08-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Okay lets jump a head a little bit I have the stands made and each has the right water quality. Have any of you seen Cockatoo Cichlids and Agazzi's Dwarf Cichlids in Calgary??? I know this may be a long shot becasue this is a Saltwater site but there are a couple of freshies here.

Cap'n
08-07-2004, 12:27 AM
:rolleyes:

Quagmire
08-07-2004, 12:35 AM
I think Golds would be the place to check in Calgary for cichlids.The selection is fantastic.If he doesn't have it I'm sure he can get it if you ask.

DOO-E
08-07-2004, 02:32 AM
Well i can get them ordered from here but the thing is if you do a special order they generaly only order the amount you want. I would like to choose from a bunch of fish.

EmilyB
08-07-2004, 05:55 AM
Should this be moved to the FW forum or some other place ?

DOO-E
08-07-2004, 06:13 AM
It was a DIY but i had that question answered and now the last one is answered. So it is fine now.