PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crabs

Drfu
04-05-2014, 02:43 PM
I have been thinking of adding some crabs to both of my nano tanks for a while now but have always been worried about them munching on my cuc. I have read online that of all of hem a dwarf zebra would be the best for small reef tanks, one is 8 g & the other is 15. I would like some input on this species as a choice and have some questions:

1) is this a good choice for these small tanks?
2) where in Calgary does a lfs have these
3) is there a rule of thumb of how many?
4) i know you need to have some extra shells laying around, any particular types of shells?

hfp75
04-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Yes the dwarfs.... Picies or however you spell it...

BuschWacker
04-05-2014, 03:20 PM
I put 3 zebras in my IM nuvo 8. One killed the other two, then proceeded the wipe out all of my snails, and pretty much every other cuc I tried to add since. Doesn't touch my cowries though, and two nassarius are quick diggers so they've been safe.

Drfu
04-05-2014, 03:32 PM
I put 3 zebras in my IM nuvo 8. One killed the other two, then proceeded the wipe out all of my snails, and pretty much every other cuc I tried to add since. Doesn't touch my cowries though, and two nassarius are quick diggers so they've been safe.

I have the nuvo 8 as well & thats what im worried about, i have cereths, nerites, trochus, nassarius & bumble bee snails and some sexy shrimp.

So the question is, would you even buy one again givin your experience? How were they with your corals?

BuschWacker
04-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Personally I would not buy another one. He's good with corals, hangs out in my birdsnest, but doesn't harm it in any way. I also had a few scarlet hermits, and they were model citizens. Never fought, or bothered anything else. I enjoy the crabs in larger tanks, but don't think I will put them in nanos anymore. I never actually see it doing anything constructive. At least my snails are always cleaning. The crabs only ever sit and stare at you from across the room.

Drfu
04-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Personally I would not buy another one. He's good with corals, hangs out in my birdsnest, but doesn't harm it in any way. I also had a few scarlet hermits, and they were model citizens. Never fought, or bothered anything else. I enjoy the crabs in larger tanks, but don't think I will put them in nanos anymore. I never actually see it doing anything constructive. At least my snails are always cleaning. The crabs only ever sit and stare at you from across the room.

Good advice, i thought as much! I just wanted to add something new that was colourful and entertaining but it sounds like its a mo in your opinion and having the same small tank helps. Would a 15 gallon column be any different in your opinion?

BuschWacker
04-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Good advice, i thought as much! I just wanted to add something new that was colourful and entertaining but it sounds like its a mo in your opinion and having the same small tank helps. Would a 15 gallon column be any different in your opinion?

I think some hermits do have a specific purpose, I just haven't found one yet. Scarlett's are supposed to eat cyano, which is why I bought some last year. It did clear up, but not sure if the crabs had anything to do with it. I see my snails doing way more work then any of my crabs ever did. Only thing I ever see my crabs doing is eating the leftover food, which isn't a bad thing, but in a nano, there shouldn't be very many fish anyways, so not much over feeding. If your looking for something more entertaining, I would go with a smaller fish, Benny's, gobi's, etc, other kinds of crabs like porcelains, Pom poms, or shrimps like banded, or pistols. I've got a good sized pistol shrimp in my nuvo. Almost regretted it at first cuz he moved so much sand around that the water was constantly cloudy. Lost a few small frags that were low down because he would take them and use them for his building purposes. But in doing so, my sand has never been cleaner, there's never any dust in the water anymore, and the landscape is different every morning. But I don't see him very often.

Drfu
04-05-2014, 06:54 PM
I think some hermits do have a specific purpose, I just haven't found one yet. Scarlett's are supposed to eat cyano, which is why I bought some last year. It did clear up, but not sure if the crabs had anything to do with it. I see my snails doing way more work then any of my crabs ever did. Only thing I ever see my crabs doing is eating the leftover food, which isn't a bad thing, but in a nano, there shouldn't be very many fish anyways, so not much over feeding. If your looking for something more entertaining, I would go with a smaller fish, Benny's, gobi's, etc, other kinds of crabs like porcelains, Pom poms, or shrimps like banded, or pistols. I've got a good sized pistol shrimp in my nuvo. Almost regretted it at first cuz he moved so much sand around that the water was constantly cloudy. Lost a few small frags that were low down because he would take them and use them for his building purposes. But in doing so, my sand has never been cleaner, there's never any dust in the water anymore, and the landscape is different every morning. But I don't see him very often.

Again, good advice and sorry for so many questions. You say porcelain crabs could be good for my 15g or both 15 & 8g? I do have a pistol/hifin goby pair right now in my 15, very entertaining and yes a never ending aquascaping of my dsb .

BuschWacker
04-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Again, good advice and sorry for so many questions. You say porcelain crabs could be good for my 15g or both 15 & 8g? I do have a pistol/hifin goby pair right now in my 15, very entertaining and yes a never ending aquascaping of my dsb .

Porcelain's would be good for either tank. They are kinda hit or miss though. I've seen them out in the open showing themselves off, and I've seen others that hide in the shadows most of the time. I had a small one as a hitch hiker in my nuvo, but was very shy. I knew he was there because I would see his molts floating around. Not sure if he's still around. Haven't seen him in a few months. Cool little crabs to watch though, with their 'fan hands' constantly waving around. Was at big als today and they had a few out on the rocks.

Drfu
04-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Porcelain's would be good for either tank. They are kinda hit or miss though. I've seen them out in the open showing themselves off, and I've seen others that hide in the shadows most of the time. I had a small one as a hitch hiker in my nuvo, but was very shy. I knew he was there because I would see his molts floating around. Not sure if he's still around. Haven't seen him in a few months. Cool little crabs to watch though, with their 'fan hands' constantly waving around. Was at big als today and they had a few out on the rocks.

So i think i will try a porcelain in my Nuvo 8 & a scarlet in my 15. Where is everyone buying these species from?

BuschWacker
04-11-2014, 12:26 AM
So i think i will try a porcelain in my Nuvo 8 & a scarlet in my 15. Where is everyone buying these species from?

Big als had a few porcelain crabs this past weekend. Pisces usually has Scarlets.