PDA

View Full Version : Fishsitters in Calgary?

jvpremku
04-04-2014, 08:49 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to be out of town for three week and I'm a bit worried for my fish. I figure I'll go by an ATO and an autofeeder this weekend, but I am thinking it would still be worthwhile to get someone to come in and take a look - particularly since my fish aren't that used to pellets (they are ok with flakes though).

Anyone have any good tips / recommendations for people I should use?

Also, any idea what it should be costing me per visit?

Thanks!
James

riceboy
04-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I don't know about you but I would try to get a friend or a family member that I trust. Don't want strangers in my house but that's just me.

lastlight
04-04-2014, 10:06 PM
it should cost you nothing. friends and family are there to use and abuse =) a trustworthy friend who's into the hobby would be my first choice.

michika
04-04-2014, 10:25 PM
And leave a number of a reputable person/LFS incase your non-reefer babysitters has an OMG moment.

jvpremku
04-04-2014, 11:25 PM
haha. sadly, I have no family in town and I wouldn't trust my friends in my house for three weeks either - probably come back to a huge house party :). Plus I am hoping to avoid using up my all my goodwill - i've used friends quite a bit for my weekend trips. Looks like Kijiji has some fish sitters - I guess I'll have to vet them.

Myka
04-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Make sure the fish sitter has liability insurance. :)

ChefFish
04-05-2014, 03:36 AM
You could call around to the local reef stores and see if any offer short term maintenance packages. Or maybe 1 of the workers would like a few extra $ on the side to support their coral addiction.

Myka
04-05-2014, 03:44 AM
Is there no good maintenance companies in Calgary? That would surprise me!

jmustapha
04-05-2014, 07:54 PM
What area are you in

michika
04-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Sounds like some people should step up and make a canreef community based group to fill this gap. Especially with summer coming to.

EmilyB
04-06-2014, 01:31 AM
Michika, that is a really good idea! I think most of us don't mind paying to get some good knowledgeable care either.

What about a thread, where people can post the areas they might be available in?

I would prefer that approach as one could go with someone they know and trust.

We were going to go away and ended up arranging for a friend who is a human care giver, but unfortunately too many dog surgeries ended our holiday plans. :cry:

jvpremku
04-06-2014, 09:03 PM
That's a really good idea. It feels a lot more comfortable leaving the fishies in the hands of someone who knows the hobby. We'll have to figure out a good platform to use to organize it - these forum threads arent very good for it.

James

Michika, that is a really good idea! I think most of us don't mind paying to get some good knowledgeable care either.

What about a thread, where people can post the areas they might be available in?

I would prefer that approach as one could go with someone they know and trust.

We were going to go away and ended up arranging for a friend who is a human care giver, but unfortunately too many dog surgeries ended our holiday plans. :cry:

michika
04-06-2014, 09:46 PM
That's a really good idea. It feels a lot more comfortable leaving the fishies in the hands of someone who knows the hobby. We'll have to figure out a good platform to use to organize it - these forum threads arent very good for it.

James

Ohh what's this? Another reason to have a regular meeting out somewhere we can all get a bite to eat and chat. Or maybe enjoy the sights of someone's tank.

EmilyB
04-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Yay!! :lol:

SoloSK71
04-07-2014, 01:24 AM
If there were enough people interested I would have no problem getting a Certified Criminal Record Check, and would charge a reasonable fee. I do know there are one or two maintenance companies in Calgary but I have never been willing to pay the $100 or so a week charge.

Charles

EmilyB
04-07-2014, 01:51 AM
I'd be thinking the fee should be based on how much a person has to do and how often.

In our case, for example, it would only be top off and feeding every second day.

I'd have no problem paying $100 a week.

Myka
04-07-2014, 02:14 PM
I do know there are one or two maintenance companies in Calgary but I have never been willing to pay the $100 or so a week charge.

I'd have no problem paying $100 a week.

Yeah, $100 per week isn't bad. Are they showing up everyday or every second day?

lastlight
04-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Yeah, $100 per week isn't bad. Are they showing up everyday or every second day?

money isn't everything. i'll usually sneak greg's sweet vette out for a spin or play with kien's gundam collection when i'm on the job. :biggrin:

#PerksWithoutPermission

michika
04-07-2014, 03:13 PM
I pay my buddy $50 to come stay at my house, drink my liquor and check certain things on the tank for a week. Everything is automated. If they actually have to do anything I bump it to $100 and leave them names and numbers of people who'd know how to handle anything out of the ordinary.

I used to have a binder with visuals and details about the system. Pretty much anyone who is about 10 or so could have read it and gotten a good understanding of my system. Sadly a flood ruined the thing in November.

michika
04-07-2014, 03:13 PM
money isn't everything. i'll usually sneak greg's sweet vette out for a spin or play with kien's gundam collection when i'm on the job. :biggrin:

#PerksWithoutPermission

:lol:

reefwars
04-07-2014, 03:23 PM

#PerksWithoutPermission

Hey you said that was your vette lol

lastlight
04-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Hey you said that was your vette lol

whatever happened to 'what happens in vegas stay in vegas' denny? sheesh.

i used to larp in fish creek with all of tony's wizard gear but he must have noticed i'd soiled his stuff a little. haven't been asked to tanksit since.

reefwars
04-07-2014, 04:26 PM
whatever happened to 'what happens in vegas stay in vegas' denny? sheesh.

i used to larp in fish creek with all of tony's wizard gear but he must have noticed i'd soiled his stuff a little. haven't been asked to tanksit since.

Haha again that was you I saw in the woods :pp

Delphinus
04-07-2014, 04:41 PM
That wasn't my wizard gear ... :noidea:

iamfrontosa
04-08-2014, 05:29 AM
Have you tried Angus @ Reef Wonderland. I heard good things about him.

jvpremku
04-08-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks. I'll call him.