PDA

View Full Version : Niger Trigger Tankmates

Cap'n
08-04-2004, 05:40 AM
Looking for suggestions.

Undecided whether to go with a couple large predators or a mix of larger more docile fish.

Would love to hear from trigger owners what they have had success with.

Thanks

EmilyB
08-04-2004, 05:46 AM
The niger I had introduced was more aggressive than my clown and blackblotch triggers. Weird probably, but I didn't keep him long. He was nasty.

Buccaneer
08-04-2004, 05:55 AM
Wetback had a niger trigger that used to spit at him if he did not feed him fast enough :eek: ... when it was feeding time he had better put that food in asap or all hell would break loose :lol:

Recommendation : very large tank with other " predator " type tankmates ie. eels, large triggers, groupers etc

When I have finished my new reef tank I will use my existing tank as a FOWLR for predators only :evil:

Stirfry
08-04-2004, 05:57 AM
try a panther grouper and a fu manchu lion fish and a snowflake eel
but make sure the eel is well fed and very small

this is what i had untill my snowflake moray eat them all!!!!

not fun

but theses are exelent fish fairly hardy and fun to watch

just make sure that fu manchu is eating before you buy him(if)

Quinn
08-04-2004, 06:00 AM
On the other hand, I believe Des had four or so of these in his 180 at one point in time, with a smattering of other large and small fishes... from what I've read, niger triggers can generally be expected to be more docile than most other triggers, except the plankton-feeding genus.

Cap'n
08-05-2004, 03:35 AM
The niger I had introduced was more aggressive than my clown and blackblotch triggers. Weird probably, but I didn't keep him long. He was nasty.

The reason I got the niger was because I had heard they were the most docile trigger. This guy has been in with green chromis, diana hogfish, yellow tang and (until recently) flame angel. Also have a few different types of soft corals that he has not touched. He is just now starting to chase the chromis. Originally wanted a picasso but decided against it because of their aggressive behaviour. Maybe they would make good tankmates.

My niger is only 2", if that makes a difference.

Cap'n
08-05-2004, 03:43 AM
Recommendation : very large tank with other " predator " type tankmates ie. eels, large triggers, groupers etc

Going into a 55 for now, larger tank on the way. Don't want to get anything else that will grow too quickly.

eels: worried about them getting out or eating other tankmates, but would love to have one!
other triggers: definite possibility (will they fight? what would be a good pairing?)
groupers: too big, too dirty

Cap'n
08-05-2004, 03:46 AM
try a panther grouper and a fu manchu lion fish and a snowflake eel
but make sure the eel is well fed and very small

this is what i had untill my snowflake moray eat them all!!!!

Yeah, that's what worries me! That, and my wife finding an eel under the couch!

Lionfish: considering a dwarf, but worried about the feeding requirements
panther grouper: too big, too fast, too dirty

Cap'n
08-05-2004, 03:49 AM
... from what I've read, niger triggers can generally be expected to be more docile than most other triggers, except the plankton-feeding genus.

Would one of the plankton feeding genus be a good candidate then? What would be a good example?

Cap'n
08-05-2004, 03:58 AM
Here is the shortlist for the big FOWLR tank. Please critisize and / or make suggestions. Big tank within 1 year, 55 for now.

niger trigger
rabbitfish
diana hogfish
picasso trigger
engineer gobies
pair of longnose butterflies
snowflake moray
naso tang
coris wrasse
harlequin tusk
maculosus angelfish
few damsels

Quinn
08-05-2004, 04:25 AM
The Xanthichthys genus are plankton-feeders. From what I've read any of them is a good bet and safe apparently even with inverts. I would attempt to obtain one or a pair if you have the room/money from J&L, since I don't shop at the only place in Calgary I've ever seen them. Bob Fenner also suggests the members of the Sufflamen genus but I'm not sure if everyone would agree with it or not.

kris_willard
08-05-2004, 05:08 AM
I have a Picasso trigger, a volitions lion and a porcupine puffer. I would be wary of any small lionfish with a trigger as triggers seem to be able to make quick work of them. some people even dubb lions as "trigger chew toys". My Picasso is VERY docile will even eat out of my hand. A large tang would be a nice addition as well. I think another trigger would be a nice addition. They might fight at first but once one establishes dominance they should stay out of each others way. i wouldn't add more then one other fish or you will find the aggression will increase in such a small space. IME

Stirfry
08-06-2004, 07:12 PM
the piccaso trigger might eat most of them on your list i jhad one and they can be very mean!!

cation advised :exclaim:

kris_willard
08-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Had him for a year now and hes a wuss! the velvet damsel that i have kicks his ass all the time! imsure one day he will grow up big and strong and come back with a vengence! Im not too worried about him.

Cap'n
08-07-2004, 12:13 AM
the piccaso trigger might eat most of them on your list i jhad one and they can be very mean!!

cation advised :exclaim:

My list is not what I plan to add to the tank, it is more of a wishlist. If I decide on the picasso it will cross a few options off. My wife really wants the picasso, I really want a large pair of something, so we're still undecided.

Thanks for all the input, love to hear from everyone in the same / similar situation.