PDA

View Full Version : BLOODY MAJANOS

Cujo#31
04-02-2014, 01:41 AM
So I have recently erradicated all the pain in the arse aptasia. Nuked the ones I could get to, then, desperate times call for desperate measures, I moved all my fish over to another tank and basicly starved my peppermints into cleaning out the rest of the aptasia.
Now I see a couple bloody majanos. I have heard you can just tweeze them off rocks u cant remove, and kalk paste, but a couple are too close to coral to risk, and rocks too big and nasty to pull out so I can scrape em off.
Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

Aquattro
04-02-2014, 01:43 AM
Muriatic acid. Done.

Cujo#31
04-02-2014, 02:05 AM
Sounds good. Please speak to me like I draw in crayon now. What the heck is muriatic acid? And does a trip to LFS answer the supply question?
Thanks Brad

SteveCGY
04-02-2014, 02:11 AM
[QUOTE=Cujo#31;889850]Sounds good. Please speak to me like I draw in crayon now. What the heck is muriatic acid? And does a trip to LFS answer the supply question?

It's hydrochloric acid and can be found in hard ware stores used as a cleaning item.

http://www.rona.ca/en/muriatic-acid

Aquattro
04-02-2014, 02:39 AM
As Steve said, I get it at Canadian Tire. Open it outside, suck some into a syringe and inject into thing wanted dead. Works for aptaisia too. If you have a smaller tank, only do a half dozen at a time so you don't affect pH. Don't get it on your skin or in your eyes. Don't ever add water to acid. Opening in the house will cause it to react with humidity and give off gas. Don't open inside :)

zephyr50
04-02-2014, 02:55 AM
Aiptaisa-X gets them too, but you have to really pour it on; being careful it doesn't leak to any other corals. Sometimes you "kill" the heads and then can pick off the stem with a tweezers. They are very resilient, as you know. Pests!:twised:

Cujo#31
04-02-2014, 02:56 AM
Thanks guys....im all over that. U rock!!!

Snappy
04-02-2014, 05:41 AM
As Steve said, I get it at Canadian Tire. Open it outside, suck some into a syringe and inject into thing wanted dead. Works for aptaisia too. If you have a smaller tank, only do a half dozen at a time so you don't affect pH. Don't get it on your skin or in your eyes. Don't ever add water to acid. Opening in the house will cause it to react with humidity and give off gas. Don't open inside :)
I thought this would drastically affect PH levels? How much are you guys using per head for mojanoes?

GoFish
04-02-2014, 06:14 AM
I actually bought a bottle of it yesterday from home hardware for $7 to clean and prep aluminum for paint, very nasty smell.
The label says you can add 200ml to 10,000 litres of water to affect PH by a certain number (can't remember) though I've read over the last year several experienced reefers don't even test or bother with PH anyway

Aquattro
04-02-2014, 12:18 PM
I thought this would drastically affect PH levels? How much are you guys using per head for mojanoes?

When I first read about this, I worked out the math re: how much I could add to my tank before it affected pH, and the value was quite high. I don't recall exactly what it was, as that was 20 years ago, but I used it to kill a lot of aptaisia in my 150g (per session) without affecting pH (using a real time monitor).
I use probably 0.5ml or so per head.

Magickiwi
04-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Lemon juice also works well on aptasia but not sure how effective it is with Manjo.

Myka
04-02-2014, 03:19 PM
I actually bought a bottle of it yesterday from home hardware for $7 to clean and prep aluminum for paint, very nasty smell.
The label says you can add 200ml to 10,000 litres of water to affect PH by a certain number (can't remember) though I've read over the last year several experienced reefers don't even test or bother with PH anyway

pH isn't normally too much of a concern, but it sure can be if you drop it real fast by adding a bunch of acid, so in this case testing and bothering with pH may be granted. :D

Snappy
04-03-2014, 03:47 AM
When I first read about this, I worked out the math re: how much I could add to my tank before it affected pH, and the value was quite high. I don't recall exactly what it was, as that was 20 years ago, but I used it to kill a lot of aptaisia in my 150g (per session) without affecting pH (using a real time monitor).
I use probably 0.5ml or so per head.
Thanks Brad

Skimmerking
04-03-2014, 03:19 PM
i have tried Lemon juice didnt work.
I have done KAlk Paste didnt work.
I have done Hot water didnt work.
I have done peppermints it works a bit.
I battled red turf algae then i moved over to Bio pellets. Grizz said it works awesome i did it and its all gone and now i have aptaisia peeve me off.

So how long will it take to kill them. and do they come back? what causes them to grow and come up .

denny_C
04-03-2014, 03:37 PM
dog face puffer....although that runs other issues lol ours sucked up and ate countless majanoes, aiptasia and god knows what else in the tank :P

greg that puffer cleaned up all that rock you gave us in literally less than two weeks lol was incredible to watch actually:)

pinkreef
04-03-2014, 03:40 PM
You can kill them off but their will to live will make them always come back. What you really need is something to keep them at bay so your tank won't look like you have any. I use a file fish. :biggrin:

Cujo#31
04-03-2014, 03:47 PM
i have tried Lemon juice didnt work.
I have done KAlk Paste didnt work.
I have done Hot water didnt work.
I have done peppermints it works a bit.
I battled red turf algae then i moved over to Bio pellets. Grizz said it works awesome i did it and its all gone and now i have aptaisia peeve me off.

So how long will it take to kill them. and do they come back? what causes them to grow and come up .

Ya, they can be a BITCH!!!! That is why I went to the xtreme of pulling all my fish out. Logic behind that one is they were getting plenty of food wen the fish were fed, not hungey, didnt have to go searching for food. I pulled all m fish out, added a couple more peps and did not add a single drop of food into coral tank. Eventually they figured out there was no food coming and were pretty much "starved" into resorting to natural behavior. Not the most practical solution. It was actually a pain in the arse. They are a common hitch-hiker on live rock which is one of the reasons a dip and short quarantine are recomendd before they go into the display. Observe a "newbie" for short period to see if there are any "bonus" corals. Also any nuisance pests like snails are much easier to spot and remove from small QT tank than display

Cujo#31
04-10-2014, 03:56 AM
Well, the verdict is out. Muriatic acid is unbelievable! And cheap too folks. Less than 10 dollars for a 900 ml bottle. In total I used less than 5 ml. Just shut down circulation and began the hunt. U could almost hear the screams.....it was BLOODY AWESOME!!!!!!
A huge shout out and thanks to all of u fellow reefers. This hobby is so much better with all of u out there supporting guys like me.