PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing, not potable water certified. ?

hillegom
03-31-2014, 08:14 PM
So I have been reading that not all plumbing fittings and pipe are certified for potable water. For instance, spa flex or flex pipe.
Do people really care? Does it matter?
I find a certification (in the states) of nsf 50/51 for carrying away sewage or drainage. And nsf 60/61 for potable water.
Most fittings and pipe certified for potable water cost a lot more than non potable water use. And some pipe, like spa flex, I have been unable to find certified for 60/61
So for you people that have used non certified potable water fittings/pipe, have you noticed anything unusual/happening in your aquariums?
Do you just go to the hardware store and buy parts and not even ask?

Thanks for your input

Delphinus
03-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Do you just go to the hardware store and buy parts and not even ask?

Pretty much.

ABS seems to be commonly used for drainage applications, but people seem to use it in tanks just fine.

PVC seems to be more for irrigation, again, seems to be used just fine. I tend to use PVC myself, no real reason that I choose it over ABS other than "it's what I've always done."

Vancouver Reefer
03-31-2014, 08:31 PM
I would imagine if we saw the state of piping our mains water comes to us in, we would all have nightmares!

Clean PVC and ABS will be fine.

hillegom
04-01-2014, 01:32 AM
I guess this is a case of me readiing/worrying to much.
I thought all piping/fittings were the same. Now I know better, but read too
much into it.

Thanks

1eyedjyde
04-01-2014, 02:08 AM
Try not to mix and match pvc and abs, there is a specific solvent you have to use. Also pvc is more dense than abs and stands up more to repetitive movements so if possible use pvc where you have threaded fittings.

mark
04-01-2014, 03:32 AM
I guess this is a case of me readiing/worrying to much.

keep this up you'll probably stop drinking water from the garden hose on a hot day

Dive_dry
04-01-2014, 05:58 AM
One thing to is potable water pipe has a higher pressure rating than non potable water pipe. AbS is pressured tested by just static head pressure to like 30psi or less and water pipe is tested to like 90 -120psi depending on the type of pipe

hillegom
04-03-2014, 01:12 AM
keep this up you'll probably stop drinking water from the garden hose on a hot day

lol