PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for plumbing assistance

PaulCheung
03-31-2014, 06:17 AM
I am working on my first DIY salt water tank. I have a 50 g tank drilled with 3 1" holes and have a 25 g tank to be converted to sump.I am thinking to use herbie overflow.

I am thinking to use flexible hose for main drain and emergecy drain and PVC for my return. For the return, I want to be able to adjust the return flow to match the overflow rate. So I think i need a type gate valve.

So far i have just bought 3 1 inch bulk heads. When i got to the hardware store, there are so many different stuffs that looks so similar. i don't what kind of plumbing stuffs i need to buy to complete my DIY project. Desparately lookomg for advices in plumbing my tank.

For starter, what is the 90 degree part the can connect the 1 inch bulk head. While my bulk head is inch, does it mean the diameter of the PVC and flexible hose is also 1 inch?

I have no experience in this thing. Any advice will be appreciated.

strider
03-31-2014, 07:10 AM
Welcome to saltwater hobby :)

It could become overwhelming sometimes don't let that discourage u.

While my bulk head is inch, does it mean the diameter of the PVC and flexible hose is also 1 inch?

Yes

U will have gate or ball valve on main drain pipe to control the flow .
No need to control flow on return line.

I do not understand why u need 90 degree elbow?

It would help if you could draw out on a paper what you are trying to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-31-2014, 09:25 AM
Paul,

When you're doing your plumbing come to my place and borrow my PVC cutter. It's really handy and cuts through pvc like butter and will work on flexhose too.

Just ordered two and waiting to use them soon.

Anthony

Trevor W
03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Maybe I misunderstood your post but I would use the flexible hose on the return line and the pvc for the drains. And use a gate valve for the main drain not a ball valve. As far as the 90 from your bulkhead depends if your bulkhead is slip or thread either way your just need a 90 elbow with threads or if its slip just a piece of pvc to go between the bulkhead and elbow. Im assuming that your drains are coming from the back of the tank and not from the bottom or an external overflow?

PaulCheung
03-31-2014, 05:43 PM
My first problem is buying the right stuff from the hardware store.
I saw things in the plumbing section that look very similar and confused.:redface:

Some are threaded and some are not thread.

I guess may be to begin by asking: what are the parts I need to connect my 1 inch bulk head to 1 inch flexible hose and i inch PVC pipe? Does it called "insert" that has one end threaded?

I would be ideal if I just have a shopping list with the exact name and size so that I can pick the right stuff from the hardware store.

intarsiabox
04-01-2014, 12:17 AM
I guess may be to begin by asking: what are the parts I need to connect my 1 inch bulk head to 1 inch flexible hose and i inch PVC pipe? Does it called "insert" that has one end threaded?

If the bulkhead has no threads inside the pipe it is a "slip" fit. Bulkheads can also be half threaded and half slip or threaded all the way through. In the slip case you can just prime the pipe, put some glue around it and just slide the pipe into the bulkhead as far as it can go. You could plumb everything with slip fits if wanted to but I prefer threaded adaptors so things can be taken apart easily. Unions also come in handy to quickly remove the pump for any maintenance. If you are using 1" lines for everything then all your fittings will be labeled 1" in the store as well even though it may not look like it. Does your pump have a 1" discharge as well? If not you may need an adaptor.